The Zombie is a very popular cocktail which is prepared by shaking together a variety of rums, fruit juices, liqueurs and a secret infusion which was created by Donn Beach. This cocktail was first concocted by Donn Beach in the 1930s and named it zombie after noticing its effects on the drinkers.
Recipe For Zombie Cocktail Drink
He noticed that more than two zombie cocktails can have a very adverse effect on the behavior of the drinkers and they start reacting like zombies after getting hung over due to its high alcoholic content. Today, restaurants and bars like Don the Beachcomber have limited the number of zombie cocktails to just 2 to prevent their customers from getting overdrunk.
½ oz. of white rum
1/4th oz. of freshly extracted papaya juice
½ oz. of golden rum
1/4th oz. of apricot brandy
1/4th oz. of 151 proof rum
1/4th oz. of peach schnapps
½ oz. of dark rum
A dash of grenadine syrup
½ oz. of Donn’s mix
1/4th oz. of pineapple juice, fresh
A sprig of mint, for garnishing
1 fresh maraschino cherry, for garnishing
Donn’s Cocktail Mix
1 cup of bar sugar
3 large sticks of cinnamon
Freshly extracted grapefruit juice
1 cup of water
1 cocktail shaker
1 bar strainer
1 bar spoon
1 highball glass
1 ice spade
1. First, take a saucepan and place it on the hob. Maintain the flame on low and then pour the water into the saucepan. After that, add the bar sugar to the water and then drop the cinnamon sticks into it.
Now turn up the flame to high and let the water come to a boil. Boil the water until the sugar completely dissolves and then turn down the heat to low to simmer the infusion for 2-3 minutes. Once the time elapses, turn off the flame and let the infusion cool down for 2 hours. Once cooled completely, pour the infusion into a bottle and set it aside.
2. After that, pick up some ice cubes with an ice spade and then drop them into a cocktail shaker or a Boston shaker. Then use a jigger to measure out ½ oz. of white rum, ½ oz. of dark rum, ½ oz. of Donn’s mix and ½ oz. of golden rum.
Pour the required amounts of rums into the glass part of the Boston shaker after measuring each one of them with the jigger. Once added, pour the peach schnapps, apricot brandy and the grenadine syrup into the shaker.
3. After that, take a fresh pineapple and peel off its skin. Then cut the pineapple into small cubes. Once done, drop the pineapple cubes into an electric juicer and then process them until you get the fresh juice out of the cubes.
Next, take a fresh papaya and cut into small cubes as well. Once you are ready with the pineapple juice, strain the fresh juice several times through a sieve and then measure out 1/4th oz. equivalent of fresh pineapple juice with the help of a jigger.
4. Once done, pour the fresh pineapple juice into the Boston shaker and then extract out the juice from the papaya in the same way. Once done, pour 1/4th oz. of fresh papaya juice into the Boston shaker and then pour the entire content of the shaker into the other part of the shaker by tilting it very carefully and slowly.
Once done, tap the back of the shaker firmly to lock the parts and then shake it vigorously for 5-7 seconds until the shaker turns chilled.
5. Once done, take a highball glass and fill it up entirely with ice cubes. Now give another tap above the rims of the cocktail shaker parts to unlock them and then strain the drink into the glass. Once ready, pour the 151 proof rum slowly over the drink so that it floats on top. Finally, garnish the drink with a fresh maraschino cherry and a fresh mint leaf.