Italian meatballs are simply heavenly. If you love any kind of meatballs, you will definitely have to give these a try. Italian meatballs are super soft, moist and very juicy, which makes them one of the best kinds of meatballs in the world. And what’s more, Italian meatballs are prepared with three different kinds of meats.
They are then braised in a sweet and spicy tomato sauce to complete the dish. Italian meatballs are very yummy and versatile in themselves, because you may eat them as you like. You may eat the Italian meatballs with pasta, cooked rice or even by sandwiching them in buns.
Difficulty level: Medium
Servings per recipe: 6-8
Time required for preparation: 15-20 minutes
Time required for cooking: 1 hour 10 minutes
Appliances For Italian Meatballs
1 large skillet
1 food processor
1 large mixing bowl
1 wooden stirring spoon
1 sharp knife
250 grams of lean minced beef
250 grams of minced turkey
250 grams of lean minced pork
2 large cloves of garlic, grated or minced
6 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese or parmiggianno reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped basil
1 teaspoon of white wine
2 tablespoons of milk (at room temperature)
2/3rd cup of fresh homemade breadcrumbs
Salt, to taste
Freshly grounded black pepper
3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil
For the Sauce
2 onions, finely chopped
36 ounces of tomato puree
Fresh chopped basil
2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder
1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon of fresh oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
2/3rd cup of red wine
Method of Preparation
1. First, take the bread slices and chop off the crusts from them. Discard the crusts and retain only the white portions. Then chop the white portions into small cubes and then transfer them to a food processor. Process the breadcrumbs until they turn fine and crumbly. Next, take a large mixing bowl and put the breadcrumbs in it.
Top the breadcrumbs with the milk, white wine grated parmesan or parmiggianno reggiano cheese, eggs, finely chopped basil and the minced garlic. Season the mixture with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and then mash and mix it all up thoroughly with a fork.
2. Once you get a nicely mixed mixture, add-in the minced beef, minced turkey and the minced pork. Then mix up all the things with the meat and your hands are the best tools for that. Do not over mix the meat, just do it with a light hand. Once you get everything mixed up, make medium sized meat balls with the mixture. The size may vary according to your desires. Once done, set aside the meatballs and place a skillet on the hob.
3. Light the flame and set it on medium. Oil the skillet with any type of cooking oil and let the oil heat up. Once the oil starts crackling, place the meatballs in the skillet. Fry the meatballs turning each after a few seconds so that they can be evenly cooked and slightly browned on both sides.
This adds more flavor to the meatballs. You may fry the meatballs in batches but don’t over crowd the skillet. Once you are done searing the meatballs, pick them up with a pair of tongs and transfer to a plate.
4. Scrape off any tiny bits of meat sticking to the bottom of the skillet and then add the chopped onions and garlic to it. Stir and sauté the onions and garlic until they are lightly browned and tender. Once done, add-in the cayenne pepper powder and the red wine. Cook the mixture on high heat for 1 minute. Follow that by adding the tomato puree and 2-3 tablespoons of water. Stir and cook the sauce for 2 minutes more and then carefully add the meatballs to it.
5. Put the lid partially on the skillet and let the sauce simmer for 45-55 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally in between and then add the oregano and the basil leaves to it. Simmer the sauce for another 10 seconds and then remove the skillet from the heat. Let the meatballs cool down for a minute and then serve them with either rice or cooked pasta.
1. One of the most precious and best kept secrets of making moist and soft Italian meatballs is not to overwork the meat mixture. You should mix all the other things first and then add the ground meat at the last. Because if you overwork the meat, then you will get hard meatballs.
2. You should always use a fork while mixing the ingredients for the meatballs.