Vegan recipes have amazingly become the most popular and loved dishes in the recent years. The term “Vegan” means “non-dairy vegetarian”, anything that is prepared from the use of animal products such as meat, honey, dairy, eggs etc. Hence, Ingredients such as Tofu, tempeh, sietan etc are widely used in preparing Vegan recipes.
Any plant-based dish can be a vegan recipe and plant milk such as soy milk, almond milk or grain milk are used as a substitute for goats’ or cows’ milk. These ingredients are used to replicate the taste and texture of an ingredient or its useful properties.
But as the use of only plant foods tend not to contain the required amount of Vitamin B12, it is advisable that vegans should be very conscious in their intake of Vitamin B12 and eat foods that contain B12. Today I have got for you a different style of Vegan recipe.
A recipe you have always been passionate for. Vegan Chinese Fried rice, is an absolutely fantastic, colorful and a perfect vegan dish. I am sure you are going to enjoy this recipe as it is very easy to prepare at the same time it is a very healthy dish. In this recipe I have used tofu and some of my favorite veggies. Of course no one stop you from adding your own favorite veggies!
Tofu is prepared from soy milk and is a great substitute of meat or paneer (cottage). Tofu is rich in protein, calcium, manganese and fiber. 1/2 cup of Tofu contains 10 grams of protein. So friends let us note down the detailed method of preparing this delectable Vegan recipe
Vegan Chinese Fried Rice Recipe
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
3 cups of short grain rice
3 cups tofu, firm and mashed
5 tsps Soy sauce
11/2 cup Green onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
6-7 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1/3 cup of beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup of green and yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips, about 1-inch long
1 carrot, cut into thin strips, about 1-inch long
1/2 cup of cabbage, shredded
Pinch of turmeric powder
3 tsps of Rice wine
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of greens of spring onions, finely chopped
1. Wash and soak the rice in enough water for about 5-10 minutes and drain. Take a heavy bottomed vessel or pan and boil the water. Add rice and little salt to the boiling water. Cook uncovered on medium low flame until the rice is tender.
2. Make sure that the rice does not get overcooked. Each grain of rice should stand separately. Once the rice is done, transfer the cooked rice in a large sieve to drain away the excess water then rinse with cold water gently and drain again.
3. Keep it aside. Now, wash and cut the green and yellow bell peppers, cabbage and carrot into 1-inch long pieces. Chop the green beans into 1/2 inch pieces. Peel off the garlic cloves and finely chop them. Peel off the ginger and grate it using a grater.
4. Cut the greens of spring onions into 1-inch long pieces and slice the white part of it. Squeeze the tofu in between paper towels to remove away water from it. Then take a mixing bowl and add mashed tofu, turmeric, 3 tsps of soy sauce, mix well and set aside to marinate.
Method Of preparing Chinese Fried Rice
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok with sides that taper out. Add the chopped onions and stir-fry on a medium high heat for about 1-2 minutes or until translucent. Next, add finely chopped garlic, grated ginger, bell peppers and stir- fry for about half a minute, stirring continuously to avoid burning.
2. Then add the marinated tofu and mix well. Add the rest of the vegetables like shredded cabbage, green beans, carrots, and stir-fry on a medium high heat stirring continuously for about 4-5 minutes or until they turn a little soft yet crispy. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
3. Now add the cooked rice and gently mix so that everything gets well combined. Finally, add the remaining 2 tsps of soy sauce and rice wine and mix together nicely. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes. Your delicious Vegan Chinese fried rice is ready to relish now. Transfer them into a serving platter and garnish with chopped spring onions. Serve hot and enjoy!
1. I have made this recipe with freshly cooked rice as I had no left over rice. But as freshly made tend to stick to the wok and turn into a little mush, it would be better to work with rice that’s at least a day old to get the perfect texture.
2. It is advisable to chop the veggies almost in the same size and shape so they cook together well.
3. Make sure you have all your ingredients on hand and ready when you stir-fry on high heat to avoid the chances of burning.
4. While stir frying the veggies make sure that you do not leave them unattended as they are likely to get burned over the high heat.
5. Add little salt to your dish as soy sauce already contains enough salt. Adjust the seasoning accordingly and make sure you taste the dish before serving.
There is lot of space for variation in this recipe as it is fully loaded with vegetables. Hence, even you can use vegetables of your choice to make this recipe more colorful and tempting. Adding veggies like celery stalk, broccoli, mushrooms, green peas etc is a great way to add extra flavor to your Chinese fried rice recipe.
Also you can use different hot sauces like Hoisin, Szechuan sauce, chilli sauce, dark soy sauce, garlic sauce to pep the flavors. You can add Balsamic vinegar or Chinese vinegar to your recipe to get that unique Chinese flavor. Also try adding some nuts like cashew nuts or walnuts for an interesting twist. You can also try this recipe by using Seitan to bring that great meaty flavor.
Seitan is a great substitute for meat lovers. It gives almost the same taste and texture like that of meat. Hence it is becoming very popular as a meat substitute. You can also garnish your dish with toasted sesame seeds or thinly sliced scallions.