Chinese Hot Pot recipe and cooking method is a fun activity in which each person is free to cook his / her own meal right at the dining table. Chinese Hot Pot, often called Chinese Fondue or Chinese Steamboat, is quite similar to its French counterpart, and is prepared inside a metal pot that is placed at the center of the dining table.
The pot is full of simmering stock and whatever ingredients the person wants to eat is cooked in this broth. All other ingredients are set around the pot on the table itself.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Rich chicken or seafood stock – 10 cups
Garlic, minced – 1 tablespoon
Ginger, minced – 1 tablespoon
Green onions, finely chopped – 6
Dried bean thread noodles, cut into small pieces – 4 ounces
Leafy greens (bok choy, spinach, or napa cabbage), finely chopped – 1 pound
Sea scallops, sliced – 8
Squid, cut into small rings – 4
Tofu, cut into small cubes – 16 ounces
Shrimps, cleans and butterflied – 12
Oyesters, shucked – 8
Ginger soy sauce
1. Add ginger, garlic, green onions, and stock to a large sized pot and place on high flame. Allow it to come to a boil and then reduce the heat. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes.
2. Soak noodles in warm water till they become soft. After this, drain the water and cut up into small bit-size pieces.
3. Chop the leafy greens finely. Similarly cut scallops into slim slices and the squid into rings. Cut up tofu into small sized cubes.
4. Arrange the seafood, noodles, tofu, and chopped vegetables in a symmetrical manner inside a large size platter. Cover and keep in the refrigerator to chill till you are ready to cook it.
5. Reheat the broth till it reaches a simmering temperature.
6. Place a nice electric wok or Mongolian hot pot in the middle of your dining table. Pour the hot broth inside the pot and then adjust the heat till it reaches the gentle simmering temperature.
7. Provide Chinese wire strainers and chopsticks to the guests for cooking the vegetables, seafood and tofu slices in the boiling broth and then dipping in the sauce of their liking before eating it. In the end, the guests can add greens along with the noodles in order to prepare the soup.
Varied Ingredients of typical Hot Pot Cooking
Thin slices of meats such as chicken, lamb, or beef are ideal for hot pot cooking. Make sure the meats are sliced thinly so that they cook easily and quickly. You can also marinate the meat if you like with some salt, little oil, and soya sauce.
Crabs and shrimps can be added to the stock as they add a lot of flavor.
Mushrooms, leafy green vegetables, dumplings, noodles, and tofu can be placed on the table as they work as great accompaniers of the Chinese hot pot.
Create your own dipping sauces of different varieties with chili sauce, soy sauce, some drops of sesame oil, pepper, Chinqiang vinegar, spring onions, and fresh cilantro. You can also have other dipping sauces such as sweet chili sauce, hot mustard, and the like.