The origin of the traditional fortune cookie is still quite unclear and controversial. According to Japanese folklore, fortune cookies were formulated in Los Angeles whereas Chinese believe that they were made for the first time in 1930s in San Francisco.
Though the recipe takes some time to prepare, but the process is quite easy and if followed correctly, you will be able to produce good looking fortune cookies that also taste delicious. If you too want to produce restaurant-quality fortune cookies at home, follow the directions and recipe given below to prepare yummy treats for your friends and family.
Eggs – 2
Almond extract – ½ teaspoon
Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
White flour – 8 tablespoons
Cornstarch – 1½ teaspoons
Sugar – 8 tablespoons
Salt – ¼ teaspoon
Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
Water – 4 teaspoons
Mixing bowls – 2
Cookie sheet – 2
1. Separate the egg whites and yolks as you require only egg whites in this recipe. Take the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk them swiftly using a balloon whisk.
2. Add almond extract and vanilla extract along with vegetable oil to the egg whites and then whisk some more till it starts looking a bit foamy. Keep mixing tell everything is combined well. Take another bowl and add flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt together and mix them together. Then add water add mix it with the dry ingredients to form a batter.
3. Next, combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture and mix them together well, adding a little bit at a time. In the end, you should have a smooth and runny batter. Drop appropriate amounts of the prepared batter on a greased baking sheet, making sure to keep 2 inches spaces between each cookie. Tilt the sheet back and forth till the batter spreads evenly into a large size circle.
4. There is no need to struggle to get perfectly round circles as the oven’s heat will spread the batter even more before they begin cooking. Start by baking just a few cookies at a time till you get the hang of the process. Bake the cookies for about 10 to 15 minutes till its edges start looking golden brown in color and starts separating from the cookie sheet.
5. After 10-15 minutes of baking, remove the tray from your oven and remove each cookie with the help of a spatula and put it on your palm. If the cookies are still quite hot, make use of gloves to protect the hands from burning.
6. Place a pre-prepared fortune message in the middle of the cookie and then fold it into the shape of a traditional fortune cookie. This can be done by folding the prepared cookie in half, then pulling both the outer points together.
7. Put the folded cookies in one of the cavities of the muffin tray and allow them to cool down. Once it cools down, the cookie will become hard and retain its fortune classic shape.