Preparation Time: 12-18 hours
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Ingredients Required For The Crust
All-purpose flour – 4 cups
Unsalted butter, cold and cubed – 2 ½ cups
Kosher salt – 1 1/3 teaspoon
For The Filling
Homemade chicken broth with low level of sodium – 2 cups
Onions, chopped – ½ cup + ½ cup
Garlic, chopped – 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon
Black peppercorns – 7
Fresh black pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
Thyme – 1 tablespoon
Bay leaves – 2
Boneless pork (preferably the shoulder meat) – 700 grams
Unsalted butter, melted – 1 ½ tablespoons
Button mushrooms, de-stemmed and chopped into small pieces – 10
Dry white wine – ½ cup
Minced pork – 550 grams
Powdered cinnamon – ¼ teaspoon
Powdered cloves – ¼ teaspoon
Potato, de-skinned and grated – 120 grams
All-purpose flour – 1 teaspoons
Egg yolk, beaten – 1
Method Of Preparation
For The Crust
1. Add flour, butter and salt in the food processor and pulse until you get a crumbly mixture. Transfer the mixture into a medium sized bowl. In the bowl add ½ cup ice water and combine the ingredients until you form clumps with the ingredients. Add more ice water if the clumps aren’t wet enough.
Photo Credit: Gastronomeal.com/2011_04_01_archive.html
2. Divide the mixture into equal halves. Knead them to form dough and then flatten the two dough into disks. Wrap the two disks in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for a couple of hours. To prepare the filling: preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. In a large pot, combine ½ cup chopped onions, one teaspoon chopped garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme sprigs and broth. Add pork shoulder to the pot along with sprinklings of salt and pepper. Let the ingredients simmer over medium heat. Place a lid on the pot.
3. Remove the pot from the flame and place it inside the oven. Cook until the meat becomes tender and is easy to shred. This will take about 2 hours. Once the pork cools down, place it on your cleaned kitchen slab. Shred the meat using your fingers. Place the shredded meat in a bowl.
4. Strain the juices of the pot. Add about ½ cup of this juice to the shredded pork. Throw away the solids in the strainer. Place a large skillet over medium heat and melt butter in it. Fry ½ cup onions and 1 teaspoon garlic in the butter. Cook until onions soften. Stir in the mushrooms and again cook for 5-7 minutes. Pour in dry wine and cook. Bring the contents to a boil and then lower the flame. Cook until most of the liquid disappears.
5. Now add ground pork, cloves and cinnamon powder in the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes. Add potato and cook until it becomes soft. Remove the skillet from flame and add shredded pork along with juices into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool and then place it in the fridge for an hour.
6. In the meantime, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape the disks to form a circular shape of 12”. Place the shaped dough into a pie dish. Fill the center of the dough with chilled pork meat. Cover the meat with the hangings of the dough. Close the edges by crimping. Brush the dough lightly with beaten egg yolk. Place in the fridge for an hour.
7. Bake the pie crust in the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat of the oven and continue baking for 50 minutes till the crust turns golden brown in color. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Photo Credit: Chewingthefat.us.com/2011/12/quebecs-gift-to-holiday-table-tourtiere.html