A roasted chicken is a favorite in many households. It makes a great Sunday lunch and is easy to prepare too. Both children and adults love this delicious and hearty meal. There are many ways of preparing a roasted chicken. You can use fresh flavors like lemon and thyme to create a classic roasted chicken or you can use soy sauce and brown sugar for a more oriental version of the roast chicken.
However, infusing the chicken with fresh herbs and the tang of lemon zest and juice is one of the best ways to savor a roasted chicken. Here is an easy recipe for roasted chicken.
1 kg whole chicken, with skin
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, quartered
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1. First preheat oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit. Next wash and clean the whole chicken in running water. If there are any giblets, remove them. Pat dry the chicken with a clean tea towel and trim any excess fat. Now, insert your fingers under the skin of the chicken, starting from the neck and working towards the thighs. Do this very gently making sure that you do not break the skin.
2. In a small bowl or your cutting board, combine the crushed garlic and chopped thyme with ½ teaspoon of salt. Now, rub this mixture under the loosened skin of the chicken. Cut the lemon in half. Slice one half of this lemon very thinly and place them under the loosened skin. Cut the other half of the lemon into small quarters and place them inside the cavity of the chicken. Place a sprig of fresh rosemary inside the cavity.
3. Grease a roasting tray with a bit of olive oil and then place the chicken on the roasting tray, breast side up. Add the quartered onions to this pan. Pour the rest of the olive oil over the chicken and season with freshly ground pepper and rest of the salt.
4. Roast chicken for 30-35 minutes at 450 degree Fahrenheit. After this time, reduce the heat to 350 degree Fahrenheit and roast for an hour. Remove the roasting tray from the oven and place it on the table. Cover the roasting tray with an aluminium foil and let the chicken rest for 10-12 minutes. After 12 minutes, remove the aluminium foil of the roasting tray and transfer chicken to a cutting board. Now, carefully remove the chicken skin from its flesh. As the chicken is well-cooked, the skin should just fall away. Also, remove the lemon slices and lemon quarters and rosemary sprig from the cavity.
5. Carve chicken with a sharp knife and arrange the chicken pieces in a big platter. Check seasoning. Garnish roasted chicken with a few sprigs of thyme and a few slices of lemon. You can serve this roasted chicken with a dollop of creamy mashed potatoes or steamed green beans. You can also have a side dish of French fries or oven roasted vegetables to make it a complete meal.