No matter how wide ranging pastas maybe, they all blend perfectly with the delicate flavours of seafood. Not only are seafood pasta dishes packed with flavours they are also loaded with vitamins and minerals and provides one with wholesome nutrition. Some popular seafood pasta delicacies include that of:
Seafood Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
The tanginess of the tomatoes and the delicate flavours of the lobsters perfectly balance the flavours and textures of this dish making it all the more exquisite and mouthwatering.
500 grams pasta (preferably penne pasta)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
200 grams mushrooms, steamed and cut
2 large onions, finely chopped
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, grated to a paste
1/2 cup cream
Paprika powder or chilli flakes as per taste
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 can of tomatoes
450 grams lobsters, shelled
Zest of one lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt as per taste
Chopped parsley for garnishing
Method and preparation
1. Cook the pasta as per the instructions mentioned on its packet, once it is Al Dante, drain and leave to cool. Season the lobsters with salt, pepper and lemon zest.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onions and garlic paste and saute, add the mushrooms and paprika powder and further saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Next, add the sherry, chicken stock and tomatoes and simmer before adding in the marinated lobster. Cook until the lobsters are done.
4. Remove from heat and add the cream and toss in the pasta. To serve, garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot. This dish takes about 15 minutes to cook and serves up to 5 persons.
Seafood Mac and Cheese
Macaroni and cheese can said to be an internationally renowned dish and a comfort meal for all age groups, however, this variation of the recipe enhances the flavour and textures of the dish giving it an all new zing.
450 grams macaroni
6 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 cups full fat milk
A generous pinch of nutmeg powder
450 grams cooked shrimp or crabmeat
400 grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Salt as per taste
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon Emeril’s Creole Seasoning (a mix of salt, garlic powder, paprika, pepper powder, onion powder, thyme and oregano)
Method and Preparation
1. Cook the macaroni as per the steps mentioned on the packet, drain and leave to cool. Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees.
2. In a pan melt 4 tablespoons of butter, add the onions and garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the flour and slowly pour the milk, stirring continuously. Bring to a boil and add in the salt, pepper and nutmeg powder.
3. Turn off the heat and add in the shrimps, mix well and toss in the macaroni followed by the cheese, mix well together and transfer the batter into a baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Creole seasoning and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. This dish takes about 50 minutes to make and serves up to 8 persons.