Biting into a crisp crab cake is like tasting a mouthful of ocean. Fresh crab cakes are a light savory snack that is a great hors d’oeuvre for those informal house parties. Unlike other complicated fish recipes, crab cakes can be made in a jiffy with just a few ingredients.
The best crab cakes are the ones which are crispy on the outside and refreshingly moist and juicy on the inside. So, the next time you plan to throw a party make sure you have some savory crab cakes on the menu.
Savory Crab Cake Recipe
This is an all American dish prepared from crab meat, bread crumbs, yellow onions, mayonnaise, milk and herbs. If you want to add a piquant twist to your crab cakes you can even incorporate some pink radishes into the crab cake mixture.
Photo Credit: Tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Easy-Crab-Cakes
In the United States, crab cakes are eaten widely in most coastal towns. Each region has its own specially guarded secret recipe for mouth watering crab cakes. Even the size of the crab cake varies from region to region.
In some places you can eat crab cakes which are the size of a regular cookie while there are certain regions which serve a handsome crab cake the size of a hamburger patty.
Crab cakes not only make for a delicious entrée, they are extremely nutritious as well. If you are one of those health conscious individuals, you can make a delicious crab cake using fresh crab meat and low fat mayonnaise instead of preparing the cakes with canned crab meat and full fat mayonnaise.
The tasty crab cakes are a good source of proteins, calcium, copper, selenium, vitamin B-12 and phosphorous. So, don’t be overcome with guilt the next time you tuck into a plate of crab cakes. Just Remember you are eating a tasty yet healthy dish.
Crab cakes are typically paired with a piquant dip. Classic dips which accompany a plate of crab cakes include ketchup, hot mustard sauce, tartar sauce or even sweet and sour sauce.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients ForCrab Cake Recipe
Crab Meat (Drained) – 2 cans
Lightly Seasoned Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
Lightly Beaten Egg – 1 Large
Sweet Red Pepper (Chopped Finely) – ¼ cup
Green Onions (Chopped Finely) – ¼ cup
Low Fat Mayonnaise – 1 cup
Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice – 1tbsp
Cayenne Pepper – 1/8 tsp
Garlic Powder – ½ tsp
Unsalted Butter – 1 tbsp
Preparation Of Crab Cake Recipe
1. In a large glass bowl, mix together the contents of two tins of crab meat (after draining the excess liquid), one large whisked egg, a quarter cup of finely chopped green onions, a quarter cup of finely chopped red peppers, one third cup of lightly seasoned bread crumbs, one cup of low fat mayonnaise, one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, a pinch of cayenne pepper and half a teaspoon of garlic powder.
Photo Credit: Closetcooking.com/2008/04/maryland-crab-cakes.html
2. Mix the above mentioned ingredients together to form a smooth paste.
3. Next divide the crab cake mixture into eight equal sized portions. Roll each portion between your palms. Now slightly flatten the crab cake.
4. Then lightly roll the crab cakes in the remaining bread crumbs. Gently tap the crab cakes with your finger to remove the excess bread crumbs.
5. Meanwhile heat a skillet and melt two tablespoon of unsalted butter. When the butter becomes nice and hot, gently slide in the crab cakes. Cook the crab cakes for about four minutes on each side, or till the cakes become golden brown.
6. Serve the crab cakes with some spicy tartar sauce.