No one can ever get enough of French fries, what with how yummy they are and how they seem to disappear in the mouth. There are various ways of making French fries and all of them can be classified as healthy and guilt-free or deliciously deep fried. Here is a recipe for French fries and the baking variation for the health conscious.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
4 Russet or long potatoes
Vegetable or peanut oil for deep frying
4 tablespoons of olive oil for baking
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste (optional)
Chili powder to taste
1. Peel and cut them into half a centimeter by half a centimeter or 1/4th of an inch by 1/4th of an inch thickness. If you are not worried about the appearances, you can use any shape or size of potatoes as long as the thickness of the strips is as mentioned. You can also cut them into wedges.
2. Put the potato strips in water on high heat and let them boil for 5 minutes. Make sure they are tender, but not too soft to crumble. Remove the strips from the water and spread them on tissue paper or a paper towel and let them dry in their own heat as the water evaporates. Most probably you might not need to use the tissue paper because the heat in the potatoes is enough to get rid of the water. So, you might as well simply put them on a plate.
3. Now, heat the oil for deep frying. Keep the flame on high and when the oil is really hot slowly drop some of the dry potato strips. Let them fry for 2 minutes or a little longer if you feel it necessary and remove them onto a paper towel. After the first batch the temperature of the oil would drop a little.
4. So, let the oil heat back again for a few seconds before you start the next batch. Do this before every other batch. When all the fries are done add the salt and paprika and toss the fries to coat evenly.
Baking Variation of French Fries
1. If you intend to go low on oil and bake instead, soak the potatoes in the water and dry them to get rid of the excess starch. Now mix olive oil and the spices in a large bowl. Add the potato strips to this mixture and make sure every strip is coated evenly. Instead of strips you can also cut the potatoes into wedges of the same thickness.
2. Preheat the oven to around 400F. Spread a baking sheet on the baking try you are going to use. Place as many strips or wedges as would comfortably fit on the tray without touching each other. Bake them for around 30 minutes in the oven. You can also turn the potatoes and bake for five more minutes so that they will be done on all sides.
1. If you feel the boiled strips are crumbling apart, add a tablespoon of vinegar to the water before boiling. This will help the potatoes stay compact and not crumble.
2. Also, in case you wish to fry the potatoes directly and skip the boiling part put them in the oil first and lightly fry for a minute. After all the strips are done, fry these again for a second time for a few more minutes until done.