A salad is a very healthy food, which is very filling and comforting. Salads are usually consumed as side dishes in Mexico. There are many types of Mexican salads which are very unique on their own but this particular salad is very simple yet nutritious and delicious. The wonderful combination of colorful vegetables with the sour cream and avocado dressing is simply delectable.
Level Of Difficulty: Easy
Servings Per Recipe: 6-7
Preparation Time Needed: 40-50 minutes
Cooking Time Needed: 15-20 minutes
350 grams of boneless and skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 lb. of black beans
1 lb. of jamaica, cut into thin matchsticks
1 teaspoon of paprika
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
150 grams of lettuce, shredded
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
A large handful of fresh chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
3 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt, to taste
85 grams of pickled jalapeno peppers
1 teaspoon of onion powder
3 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
2 avocados (peeled, pitted and chopped)
For The Salad Dressing
150 ml of sour cream
2 small cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon of salt
1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
2 salad tossing spoons
1 large bowl
1 slow cooker
1. Remove the chicken breasts from the refrigerator to thaw them. For that, place them on a plate and let them sit at room temperature for 40-50 minutes or until they turn soft. While the chicken breasts are thawing, take the tomatoes, green onions, jamaicas and the avocados and put them into a colander.
Then place the colander in the sink to rinse the vegetables. Rinse the vegetables one by one by rubbing them with your hands to remove all the dirt and impurities from them. Once done, drain away all the water from the colander by shaking it and then dump the vegetables over your cooking counter. Pat dry all the vegetables with paper towels.
2. Next, take the thawed chicken breasts and trim off the excess fat from them. Then put the chicken breasts into a slow cooker and add the paprika, a pinch of salt, ground cumin, garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper and onion powder to them.
Sprinkle the spices and the condiments all over the chicken breasts and then pour 2-3 cups of water over the chicken so that the chicken breasts are halfway up covered with water. Now cover up the slow cooker with its lid and let the chicken breasts cook on either low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
3. Once the time elapses, take out the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and place them on a plate. Let the chicken breasts cool down for sometime and then cut them into bite sized pieces. Once done, set aside the chicken and then take the tomatoes. Cut off the tips of the tomatoes and then cut them in half.
Spoon out the seeds from the tomato halves and then dice them. Once done, take two avocados and cut them in half. Extract out the pit from the avocados and then peel off their skin. Finally, chop the avocados into small pieces.
4. Next, take the green onion and chop it finely. Once done, take the leftover avocado and slice it in half lengthwise. Take out the seed from the avocado and then peel off its skin. Once done, drop the avocado into a blender and then process it until you get a smooth paste.
Once done, add the lime juice, sour cream, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper to the processed avocado. Process the mixture once again until all the added ingredients are thoroughly incorporated into the mixture. Once done, spoon out the dressing into a bowl and then keep it aside.
5. Now take a large bowl and put the shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, green onions, black beans, jamaica matchsticks and the jalapeno peppers into it. Pour the freshly squeezed lemon juice over the vegetables and then season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Finally, spoon out the prepared salad dressing over the vegetables mixture. Toss the salad to coat the vegetables with the dressing and then top the salad with the pieces of chicken.