Lobster salad with green beans, apple and avocado is a light yet creamy and crunchy salad that makes for a lovely meal. The salad is so creamy but with the absence of mayonnaise that often makes people wonder how. The apple used in the salad is the Granny Smith variety and hence turns the dish crunchier. The apple also offers subtle tartness to the salad. If you want to cut out the tartness; you can opt for a sweeter type of apple.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time Taken: 15 minutes
Large and chilled dinner plates – 4
5 quart pasta pot with a colander
Large bowls – 2
Slim haricots verts or green beans – 10 ounces with both ends trimmed and chopped into half inch pieces. This makes 2 cups.
Imported French mustard – 1 tablespoon
Rough sea salt – 3 tablespoons
Greek style yoghurt – 1 cup
Smooth sea salt – quarter teaspoon
Granny Smith apple – one; cored and chopped into quarter inch cubes with peel retained
Freshly minced chives – quarter cup
Ripe large avocado – one; halved and chopped into quarter inch cubes
Cooked lobster meat – 2 cups or one pound chopped into bite size pieces
Water – 3 quarts
1. Take a big bowl of ice water.
2. Take a pasta pot and fill it with 3 quarts of water. Let it boil over high heat. Combine green beans and coarse sea salt and allow them to cook for four minutes. The time for cooking may differ depending upon the size and variety of beans.
Photo Credit: Oneforthetable.com/Fresh-and-Seasonal/patricia-wells-qsalad-as-a-mealq.html
3. Take colander off the pasta pot and drain all water from cooked beans. Now transfer these beans to the bowl of ice water to cool them off instantly. This may take about one or two minutes. But ensure you do not let them stay in water for too long lest they turn soggy and flavorless. Absorb excess water and place on kitchen towel to pat them clean and dry.
4. These beans can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four hours and used whenever required.
5. Take a big but shallow bowl and integrate fine salt, mustard and yoghurt and whisk them well to form a smooth consistency. Add seasoning appropriately. To this mixture; stir in chives, green beans, avocado, apple and lobster. Toss them well within the mixture so that they are liberally coated.
6. Place dinner plates in the refrigerator. Take them out chilled and serve the salad on plates.
Wines such as Chardonnay or especially Cuvee Les Acacias that have hints of honey and fresh apples complement the salad very well. Every serving of the salad consumes about 242 calories. The creamy texture comes from the yoghurt and hence nutritionally this salad is higher and calorie-wise lesser than many salads that consume mayonnaise. This protein rich salad is also liked by little ones and hence a delicacy for the whole family.
Photo Credit: Ontherecordmagazine.com/?p=6037