Unlike the usual brown lentil, the green and black ones retain their shapes. The best thing about the green lentil is that it has an exceptional nutty flavor and texture that blend well with the salad that is delicious and quite popular. Peppers, prosciutto and French lentils make for an excellent combination in terms of tastes, flavors and colors.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time Taken: 15 minutes
Medium saucepan – 1
Large bowl – 1
Small bowl – 1
Extra virgin olive oil – one third cup
Olive oil – one tablespoon
Finely chopped shallots – 2
Green French lentils – 2 cups rinsed and drained
Red pepper – half cup finely diced
Prosciutto di Parma – 6 paper thin slices finely chopped
Flat leaf parsley – quarter cup finely chopped
Red wine vinegar – 2 tablespoon
Carrots – half cup finely diced
Dijon mustard – 1 tablespoon
Salted water – 4 cups
Salt – half teaspoon
Fresh thyme – 2 teaspoon finely chopped
Pepper – quarter teaspoon fresh ground
1. Take a medium frying or sauté pan. Spoon one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Stir in prosciutto and sauté till it turns light brown in color. This may take about five minutes. Next, bring in the shallots and sauté until they turn translucent for about three minutes.
Photo Credit: Spring3d.net/spring/site2/pages/news.php
2. Subsequently, combine red bell peppers and carrots and sauté for another five minutes or until they become slightly crispy and tender. Keep the completed dish aside.
3. Take a medium saucepan and introduce lentils with about 4 cups of salted water. Allow it to boil before simmering. Cover the saucepan and cook lentils until they are just right and tender. This will take about thirty minutes. Turn the heat off and drain water from the lentils and move it to a large bowl.
4. Next, combine prosciutto mixture, thyme and parsley along with the lentils. Toss them well to integrate them.
5. Take a small bowl. Whisk mustard and vinegar together. Thereafter, add one third cup of extra virgin olive oil and whisk until they emulsify. Introduce pepper and salt. Toss seasonings along with dressing. Taste and check for additions if any.
French lentil, prosciutto and pepper salad make a great combination with fish, chicken or meat. It does not have to be cold or hot and tastes great at room temperature.
And the best thing about this salad is that it tastes exceptionally great even the next day. All that you have to do is prepare and store it in your refrigerator.
Heat it up on a grill the next day and taste your way to heaven. Duck breasts and Russian River Pinot Noir make a great marriage with French lentil, prosciutto and pepper salad.
Photo Credit: Anticiplate.com/appetizers/french-lentil-and-feta-salad