Thai green curry is a very popular dish in Thailand. It is almost a staple in Thailand and people normally eat it as a side dish with cooked rice. There are many ways in which Thai green curry can be cooked. You can add only vegetables or you can cook it by adding meat like beef, pork or chicken.
The recipe calls for a very few ingredients, among which the Thai green curry paste is the most important one. You can either prepare it in your house or you can also buy it from grocery stores to prepare this wonderful Thai recipe. Other ingredients like carrots, basil leaves, bamboo shoots and eggplants may be added for extra flavors.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Servings Per Recipe: 2-3
Time Required For Preparation: 10-15 minutes
Time Required For Cooking: 20-25 minutes
1 stirring spoon
1 sharp knife
1 large bowl
1 rice cooker
2 chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
½ cup of bamboo shoots
1/3rd cup of green curry paste
½ of an onion (red or yellow onion)
½ of a red bell pepper, diced
1 cup + ½ cup of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of salt
½ cup of eggplants
2-3 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
2 cups of water, at room temperature
½ of a green bell pepper
1 teaspoon of fish sauce
2 teaspoons of white granulated sugar
½ cup of tightly packed fresh basil leaves
Uncooked white rice
Method Of Cooking
1. Take the uncooked rice in a large bowl and fill it up with enough water to cover the entire rice with it. Then massage the rice with your hands until the water turns murky. Once that happens, discard the water and fill up the bowl with fresh water. Rinse the rice in water as many times as the water turns murky. Once the water stops becoming dirty even after rinsing the rice, you should know that the rice is now thoroughly cleaned. Once that happens, drain away the excess water and add the rice to a rice cooker. Add enough water to the rice and set the rice cooker accordingly to cook the rice.
2. While the rice is cooking, take the chicken in a bowl and place it under running water. Massage the chicken breasts with your hands to clean them individually. Once done, pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels and transfer them to a chopping board. Chop the chicken breasts into small bite-sized pieces and then keep them aside.
Next, take the bell peppers and cut them in half. Using a knife, carefully remove the cores and seeds from the bell peppers and then chop each half into small rectangular pieces. Next, take the onion and dice it. Follow that by thinly slicing up the carrot. For that, first cut the carrot in half lengthwise and then chop each half into thin slices.
3. Next, take the eggplant and cut it in half. Cut one of that halves into further two halves and then slice the eggplant thinly. Next, cut each bamboo shoot into half lengthwise and then slice all the halves into 1 inch sized pieces. Once all the vegetables are chopped, rinse them with water and then set them aside in a bowl. Now take a pot and add half of the coconut milk to it. Light the flame and set it on medium high. Let the coconut milk cook for a few minutes and when it starts boiling, add the green curry paste to it. Stir the mixture to dissolve the green curry paste in the coconut milk and cook it for 2-3 minutes to get a smooth paste.
4. Next, add the water to the paste and set the flame on high. When the sauce starts boiling, add the chicken pieces and then turn down the heat to medium. Simmer the chicken pieces until they are cooked through and then add the all the vegetables except for the kaffir lime leaves and the basil. Once the chicken is cooked, turn up the heat and set it on high.
5. Bring the mixture to boil and then add the fish sauce, sugar, salt and the rest of the coconut milk to it. Give a brief stir to the mixture and then cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Once you are ready, add the kaffir lime leaves and the basil leaves before serving. Cook for 1 minute more and then turn off the flame. If you are ready with the rice, open the lid of the rice cooker and give it a light shake to loosen the rice in it. Then using a large spoon, take out the rice from it and serve it with the warm Thai green curry chicken.