Ziti is a type of pasta that is very similar to Penne. The only difference between Penne and Ziti is that unlike Penne, Ziti does not have any ridges and is a smooth pasta. This pasta is also frequently termed as, zituane, boccolotti, candele or zitoni. Ziti is counted amongst one of the common pastas and can be concocted into some delicious mouth watering delicacies, that are healthy and nutritious, some of these recipes include that of:
Baked Ziti Recipe
This is a classic recipe and every household is sure to have their version of this dish, however, the best way to whip up this simple yet delicious and healthy dish is mentioned below:
1 packet of ziti pasta
450 grams of sausages (preferably pork sausages)
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, made to a paste (one can opt for rosemary instead as well)
1 tablespoon oregano
Red paprika powder as per taste, or red chilli flakes
1 jar of tomato sauce
200 grams grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Method and Preparation
1. Cook the pasta as per the directions given on the packet, drain and toss with olive oil and leave to cool.
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and toss in the sausages. Add in the onions once the sausages are done, sauté for a couple of minutes before adding the garlic, basil, oregano and other seasoning, stir for a few minutes and add in the tomato sauce and sauce.
2. Combine the sauce and the pasta, mix well. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Layer the bottom of the baking dish with some sauce and half of the ricotta cheese followed by the past mixture.
3. Spread well and top the pasta with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the crust is browned. Serve hot. This dish takes about 50 minutes to cook and serves up to 8 persons.
The perfect way to describe this dish is healthy, low fat and tasty. Another advantage of this recipe is that it can be prepared and stored in the fridge and baked just before eating, making it perfect for those working late hours.
200 grams ziti pasta or 1 packet
1 onion, finely chopped
1 medium capsicum, finely chopped
450 grams minced beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
2 cans of tomato paste
salt as per taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
Method and preparation
1. Cook the pasta in accordance with the instructions given on the packet. Heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the onions, capsicum and beef. Add in the seasoning followed by the spaghetti sauce and tomato paste. Once the meat is cooked, simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Add the ziti to the meat sauce and mix well. Pour the mix into a large casserole dish and bake in for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
3. To serve, garnish with some grated cheese and serve hot. This dish takes about 30 minutes to prepare and serves up to 6 persons.