Jamie Oliver is an English chef, who recently gained huge popularity because of his TV shows and protest against unhealthy canned foods. Jamie Oliver stayed in touch with cooking from quite a tender age and then took up cooking as his career.
when he joined the Neal’s Yard restaurant as a pastry chef. From there, Jamie developed his knack for Italian cuisine and thereby, specialized in Italian cuisine and British cuisine.`
Jamie Oliver has hosted various cookery shows in several channels and his way of cooking food in the simplest and most unique ways has helped him gain huge popularity.Jamie’s debut cooking show “The Naked Chef” became an instant hit on the television, and his cookbook became the best-selling cookbook in UK.
Jamie Oliver demonstrated a very simple yet trendy fish pie recipe in channel 4, in which he demonstrated how to cook fish pie in the healthiest way, without using any cream or high-fat products. This is a very simple recipe and you can easily cook it for your guests just by following these simple steps.
Difficulty level: Easy
Servings per recipe: 6
Time required for preparation: 20-30 minutes
Time required for cooking: 40-45 minutes
1 rectangular earthen baking pan
1 stirring spoon
1 potato masher
1 box grater
300 grams of smoked haddock fillets, skinless and boneless
100-150 grams of king prawns, peeled and deveined
1 kg of potatoes, peeled
A handful of fresh spinach
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 stalks of celery, grated
350 grams of salmon fillets, skinless and deboned
2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
½ red chili, grated
1 knob of unsalted butter
150 grams of cheddar cheese, grated
Sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 carrot, grated
4-5 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Method of Cooking
1. Put the carrot, stalks of celery and the chili in a colander and then place the colander in the sink. Turn on the tap and rinse the vegetables individually under water. Once done, shake the colander once or twice to drain off the excess water and then transfer the vegetables to your working table. After that, take a large pot and fill it halfway up with water. Place the pot on the hob and set the flame on high. Wait for the water to come to a boil and in the meantime, take the potatoes and rinse them under running water by rubbing each potato with your hands.
2. Next, pat-dry the potatoes with paper towels and then peel off their skins. Once done, cut each potato in half and then set them aside. Once the water in the pot comes to a boil, tip the peeled potato halves in the pot and then cook them for about 10-12 minutes or until a skewer can be easily inserted through the deepest part of the potatoes without any resistance. Next, set a preheating temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit on your oven to prepare it for baking.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, place a box grater on a plate or wooden board and grate the carrot, stalks of celery, fresh chili and the cheddar cheese with the help of the grater. Make sure that you grate the chili on the finest side of the grater, but you can grate the rest of the things on the coarser side. Next, take the flat-leaf parsley and chop off the stems by leaving out ½ -inch of stems on the sprigs. Then chop the stems and the leaves very finely. Once done, set aside the chopped parsley on a plate.
4. Next, take the tomatoes and cut them in quarters. Once done, take the prawns and peel off their scales. Snap-out the heads of the prawns and then extract out the veins from their backs with the help of a knife. Follow that by cutting the haddock and salmon fillets into small bite-sized pieces.
Once everything is prepared take a square baking pan and put all the grated vegetables and the cheese in it. Top the vegetables with the fish pieces and the prawns and then season the mixture with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss all the ingredients together to mix-in the seasonings and then spread the mixture in the pan.
5. After that, put the chopped fresh parsley into the baking pan and then cut the lemon in half to squeeze out all the juice from it. Drizzle the lemon juice all over the vegetables and the fish cubes in the baking pan and then add-in the tomato pieces. Finally, place the fresh spinach on top of everything and then drizzle some olive oil all over the spinach. Season the mixture with a bit more salt and freshly ground black pepper and then toss everything carefully with your hands to incorporate the seasonings.
6. Next, check the potatoes and then drain off the water from the pot if you are ready with them. To drain out the water from the pot, just tip the boiled potatoes into a colander and then let them sit in the colander for a few minutes, until all the excess water drains out.
Once done, put back the potatoes into the pot and then add a little knob of butter to them. Mash the warm potatoes with a potato masher until you get a very smooth and lump-free mashed potato mixture. And then season the mixture with sea salt, a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Stir the mixture with a stirring spoon to mix the seasonings nicely and then set it aside. Once done, spoon out the mashed potato mixture over the layer of spinach in the baking pan and then try to even that out with a fork. Once done, drizzle some lugs of olive oil all over the layer of mashed potato and then pop the baking pan into the preheated oven to bake the fish pie for 40-45 minutes or until the top turns crispy and golden brown. Once done, take out the baking pan and then cut out the pie to serve it warm.