In this article we will share with you the Classic Thai recipe for preparing mango chicken. The dish tastes more like deep-fried chicken but it is minus the calories and fat present in deep fried dishes! To relish this dish, try using fresh ripe mangoes instead of tinned ones unless you are making the dish in the off season.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients Required for Preparing Mango Chicken
Chicken breasts – 1 pound
Oil, for frying – ¼ cup
All-purpose flour – 1 cup
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Red bell pepper – 1
Fresh coriander, chopped – ½ cup
Mango – 1
Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces.
Mix together all-purpose flour with salt.
Peel the skin of the mango and cut it into small chunks.
Mango Sauce Ingredients
Ripe mangoes – 2 (cut into big chunks)
Red chili sauce – ½ teaspoon
White vinegar – 1 tablespoon
Soy sauce – 1 + ½ tablespoon
Fish sauce – 3 tablespoon
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Brown sugar – 1 tablespoon
Ginger, chopped – 1 teaspoon
Garlic – 3 cloves
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Lime zest – 1 ½ teaspoon
Method of Preparation of Chicken Mango
1. Prepare the mango sauce first by putting all the ingredients together in a blender. Blend them well until you get a smooth sauce like consistency. Check the sauce for taste. It should be the right balance of sweet, sour, spicy and tangy. Adjust the ingredients if you find the taste off balance. Put the mango sauce aside until further use.
2. Take a mixing bowl and add flour and salt in the bowl. Now take the chicken pieces and dip them in the flour mixture. Turn the pieces around so that they are evenly coated with flour.
3. Take a frying pan and place it over medium flame. Pour oil in the frying pan and heat the oil. Once the oil is hot, fry the chicken pieces in the oil. It will take about 5 minutes for each side to lose its pinkness and turn golden brown. Once the chicken pieces are fried, place them over tissue papers to remove the excess oil.
Photo Credit: Theforum.co.za/Forum/recipeoftheweek/YearoftheDragon-MangoChickenLettuceWrap/BlogPost.aspx?PageID=349
4. Take another frying pan or a deep-bottomed wok and add the mango sauce as well as chopped red bell pepper. Turn the flame to medium. Allow the mixture to boil and then reduce the flame to low.
Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes. If you find the sauce has become thick, then add either water or coconut milk. Keep simmering until the bell pepper softens a bit but still retains some of its crispness.
5. Now add the fried pieces of chicken to the simmering sauce. Take care to cover the chicken pieces with the sauce entirely. Let the chicken pieces cook for 15 minutes and then turn off the flame.
6. Transfer the mango chicken into a serving dish and decorate with freshly cut pieces of mango. Sprinkle coriander leaves as well.Serve mango chicken with steamed jasmine rice.
Photo Credit: Dietrecipesblog.com/2011/07/09/mango-and-red-pepper-chicken-recipe-141-calories/