Contrary to its name, a coffee cake is not flavoured with coffee. It is a plain, moist cake that is usually served along with coffee. The beauty of cinnamon and coffee cake lies in the streusel (a German word meaning “a sprinkling”) topping.
The topping is usually made from powdered cinnamon, sugar and flour. Sometimes chocolate chips, fruits and nuts are also added to the topping. Once baked, the streusel adds a crispy texture to the moist and airy cake.
Cinnamon and Coffee Cake
This cake is quick and easy to make. It is also a perfect recipe for any occasion.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
1 cup refined flour
75 g butter
80 g brown sugar
150 ml yoghurt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vanilla essence
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp freshly ground cinnamon
1 tbsp refined flour
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup Chocolate chips (optional)
Method To Streusel Topping
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in an oven for 10 minutes or until fragrant and light brown.
3. Chop the nuts coarsely and soften the butter.
4. In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, refined flour, butter, chopped walnuts, chocolate chips and brown sugar together. Keep it aside for later use.
Photo Credit: Mykitchensnippets.com/2009/01/cinnamon-streusel-coffee-cake.html
Coffee and Cinnamon Cake
1. Soften the butter in a large bowl with an electric beater or a spatula. Add brown sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, and whisk the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract to the mixture. Blend until you get a uniform mixture which may take about 5-6 minutes.
2. Add baking powder and salt to the bowl. Fold in the refined flour alternating with yoghurt. Blend the mixture for 3-4 minutes or until a uniform batter is obtained. Addition of yogurt gives a rich taste to the cake. To make the cake light, you can add sour cream instead of plain yoghurt.
3. Grease a baking tray and dust it with flour. Pour half of the prepared cake batter into the tray and level the surface. Sprinkle half of the streusel topping on the batter. Now pour the remaining batter over the streusel mixture. Add the rest of the topping over the batter and place the tray in the preheated oven.
4. Bake until a tooth pick inserted in the center come out clean, about 35-40 minutes. By this time, your house will be filled with the irresistible aroma of cinnamon. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake from the tray with a knife and transfer it onto a serving platter. Serve with a strong cup of coffee or have it as a brunch.
1. If you want a stronger flavor of cinnamon, you can add cinnamon extract to the cake batter.
2. Cinnamon and coffee cake taste best when served warm. It is also advisable to consume the cake on the same day.
Photo Credit: Pembertonfarms.com/product/Cinnamon_Coffee_Cake/Coffee_Cakes