Thai cuisine is very unique. Though there is an obvious influence of Indian spices and Chinese meals, but it has its own taste and flavor. Thai food is appreciated worldwide. Some of the distinct flavor of Thai food comes from fresh coriander leaves, coriander roots, garlic, coconut milk, palm sugar, lemon grass and kaffir leaves.
All the Thai meals are mostly based on rice. The rice is mostly long grain jasmine rice which has a soft floral perfume. The rice is cooked as plain rice at most of the times as it gives the opportunity to enjoy all the flavors of the other dishes. Below is the recipe for Thai steamed curried fish, which is very tasty, flavorful and most importantly healthy. There has been no use of oil in this recipe. But when you taste the dish you will understand that there was no compromise made on its taste. It is a healthy, tasty, easy to make and colorful dish. It is delicious and has its unique refreshing taste.
Things You Need
400-500 gm white fish fillets ( Bhetki/ tilapia/ catfish/ flounder/ or any other white fish can be used) – cut the fillets into thin slices
20 fresh basil leaves
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon of ginger, grated
2 tablespoons of salt
1 and ¼ cups of rich coconut milk
1 and ½ tablespoons of rice flour
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon zest
2 red chilies, seeded and finely sliced
For the Red Curry Paste
3 big kashmiri dry red chilies
4 tablespoons of chopped onion
1 tablespoon of chopped coriander roots
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of chopped ginger
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
1 tablespoon of cumin powder
½ tablespoon of red chili powder
A pinch of salt
¼ tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper powder
2 inches of lemon grass stalk, chopped
¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
½ teaspoon of freshly grated lemon rind
1) For the red curry paste, soak the kashmiri red dry chilies for 15-20 minutes in warm water. Drain the excess water.
2) Take the soaked chilies and the remaining ingredients for the red curry in a mixer and grind. Add a little water for proper grinding. Keep the paste aside.
3) Take the fish slices in a mixing bowl and add half the rich coconut milk, red curry paste, beaten eggs, salt and ginger. Toss it well.
4) Take an oven proof dish and scatter some basil leaves on its base. Layer the fish marinate on top.
5) Take the remaining coconut milk and mix it with rice flour. Pour this mixture over the marinated fish.
6) Sprinkle with fresh lemon zest and fresh chili slices on the top. Steam it for 35 minutes or bake at 180 degree C for 30 minutes.
7) Serve hot with bread or steamed jasmine rice.
8 ) If you do not have oven at home you can steam it over the normal gas stove in a water bath (1 cup of water).
Steamed Jasmine Rice
Things You Need
1 cup of long grain jasmine rice
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Pinch of Salt
1) Wash the rice properly and soak in water for 20 minutes. Drain the excess water.
2) Add the rice in 2 cups of boiling water. Add the lemon juice, oil and salt to it. Cook it for 10 minutes. Please note that all the excess water needs to be evaporated and the rice should be a little sticky. Serve hot with the fish curry.