Texas Sheet Cake is considered the supremo among the wide range of chocolate cakes that are prepared internationally. The cake is also known by other names like Chocolate Sheet Cake, Texas Ranch Cake, Texas brownie and Texas brownie cake.
Irrespective of the various names the cake owes its origin to Texas. No one has been able to pin point the origin of the name of the cake though Lady Bird Johnson has often been credited with giving the cake its name.
Anyhow, this chocolate cake has an international fan following and any baker worth his/her grain knows the recipe of the cake like the back of his/her hand.
You can forget all your worries once you put this sinful chocolate indulgence in your mouth. You can even prepare the Texas Sheet cake in a jiffy all by yourself. Here’s an easy recipe for the cake that will cater to your gourmet buds.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50-60 minutes
Ingredients Required for Texas Sheet Cake
Cake Flour/ all-puprpose flour – 2 cups
Granulated white sugar – 2 cups
Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
Baking powder – 1 tablespoon
Sour cream – ½ cup
A pinch of salt
Butter – 1 stick + ½ stick
Water – 1 cup
Eggs – 2 large ones
Dutch processed cocoa powder – 5 tablespoons+ 5 tablespoons
Milk – one ounce
Icing sugar – 4 cups
Pure vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
Walnuts/pecans – 1 cup (chopped)
Method of Preparation of Texas Sheet Cake
1. First preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
2. Take a baking dish that is about 10 x 15 inches. Lightly grease the dish with butter or oil and sprinkle some flour at the bottom of the dish and on the side walls.
3. Take a large bowl and add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda after sifting them twice.
4. In another bowl combine eggs and sour cream by beating them together. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients bowl and combine well using an electric blender. Keep the beaten mixture aside.
Photo Credit: Ourbestbites.com/2008/09/texas-sheet-cake/
5. Take a saucepan and put it over medium flame. Add one stick of butter to the saucepan and let it melt without burning. Now add one cup water and cocoa to the melted butter. Boil the mixture and then turn off the flame. Let the mixture cool a bit and then pour it over the flour mixture. Blend the two mixtures well.
6. Pour the cake batter into the greased baking dish. Put the dish in the preheated oven and leave it for at least 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The toothpick should be inserted in the centre of the cake to check its readiness.
7. For the icing on the cake: in a large bowl add cocoa powder, milk and ½ stick of butter. Melt the mixture over low flame. Let the mixture boil and then remove from flame. After removing from heat add vanilla extract and icing sugar to the mixture. Gently fold in the nuts to this.
8. Pour the icing over slightly warm cake. Your Texas Sheet Cake is ready to be indulged in. Dig in!
Photo Credit: Thevegancrew.com/?p=2001