Americans, can never quite start the day, without tucking into some delicious waffles. Being hard pressed for time, Americans generally pick up this super delicious breakfast item from small street side waffle shops. In the United States, Waffles are typically served with a handsome dollop of maple syrup, golden syrup, honey, cream, butter or fresh fruits. If you enjoy eating savory waffles you can even order for some buttermilk and plain wheat waffles topped with sausages or bacon.
About Apricot Waffles
The crispy delicious waffles that is enjoyed so thoroughly by the American public is prepared from a mixture of flour, sugar, milk, oil, baking powder and eggs. Waffles are made with a special appliance called the waffle iron. The original waffle iron was manually operated and was made from cast iron. Today, one can purchase top of the range electric waffle makers from most departmental stores and electrical appliance shops. The modern waffle irons come in a variety of shapes including square, round, heart and even snowflake shape.
History of Apricot Waffles
The waffle is dough or batter based flat cake, which is cooked in hot metal plates. The unique honeycomb shape of the waffle plate is what gives waffles its distinctive shape. Not many people know that waffles have been around since the middle ages. Americans were introduced to this delicious fare through the Dutch Immigrants, sometime in the early 17th century (1620 A.D. to be precise).
Waffles were further popularized in the US when Thomas Jefferson returned from France with a waffle iron. In the early twentieth century, waffles became firmly entrenched in American culinary history as a popular breakfast item.
Apricot Waffle Varieties
Besides the widely popular American waffles some popular varieties of waffles include the Belgian waffles, Bergische waffles, Liege waffles, Scandinavian style waffles, Hong Kong style waffles and syrup waffles.
Apricot Waffle Toppings
Some popular toppings for waffles include nutella, jam, chocolate chips, peanut butter, powdered sugar and even ice cream. The following is a low fat and easy recipe for making scrumptious apricot waffles.
Ingredients For Making Apricot Waffles
Apricot Halves – 1 can
All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Baking Soda -1/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 1 ½ tsp
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Egg Yolk – 1
Buttermilk – 1 ¾ cups
Melted Butter – 2tbsp
Egg Whites – 3
Vanilla Yoghurt (Low Fat) – 1 cup
Maple Syrup – 1/3 cup
Method For Making Apricot Waffles
1. Open the tin of apricots and drain the syrup. Remove three apricot halves and puree them in a food processor or blender. Ensure that the apricots halves have been pureed to a fine paste.
2. Remove the remaining apricot halves from the tin and chop them finely. Keep the finely chopped apricots aside.
3. Take a large glass bowl. In the glass bowl mix together the pre measured dry ingredients i.e. all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, whole wheat flour, sugar and salt.
4. In another small bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg yolk, melted butter and the apricot puree. Mix the wet ingredients till they form a smooth mixture.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients.
6. Using a hand held blender, blend the ingredients to form a smooth lump free paste.
7. Beat the reserve egg white till they form stiff but not dry peaks.
8. Fold the beaten egg whites gently into the waffle mixture. Add the apricot segments. Cook the waffle mixture in a waffle iron.
9. Garnish the prepared waffles with apricot segments and a good dollop of vanilla yoghurt.
Photo Credit: Catalunya.diaryclub.com