Mexican food is known for its taste and spice. Among all the various country cuisines available Mexican cuisine is renowned to be one of the spiciest cuisines in the world. Though the world is a big place with various cultures and diversities, globalization has made things much better. In case of food, there have been massive changes. People of every country today nearly know recipes of other cuisines of the world. Even an amalgamation of two different foods is used to make one global authentic food.
Lasagna is usually an Italian food that is made from pasta dough. They are thin flat sheet of pasta made especially to cook wonderful dishes. Italian lasagna is sought after all around the globe, but when you taste Mexican lasagna, there is nothing better and authentic Mexican than it. The uniqueness of Mexican lasagna is that it is made with tortillas instead of pasta sheets to give a genuine touch.
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
Difficulty Level: Medium
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
For the sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
2 chopped green chilies
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp chopped coriander stalk
2 cans tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
For the filling
800 gms black beans rinsed
500 gms sweet corn
250 gms cheese of your choice (Cheddar preferred)
8 tortilla wrap
1. Put an empty baking tray in the oven and pre-heat the oven at 200 centigrade. Take a pan, pour oil and heat it till oil is hot, add peppers, chilies and onion, stir them till golden. Add salt to soften, now add the coriander stalks and stir for a few minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes along with canned water. Stir the entire mix in the pan. Let it shimmer and cook. Meanwhile prepare for the filling.
3. Take a bowl, mix the sweet corn and beans. Add the cheese to this bowl and mix it with the beans and corn. Keep a little cheese aside to sprinkle at the top. Switch off the sauce.
4. Take an ovenproof dish, spoon the bottom of it with the salsa. Layer two tortillas on top of the salsa like a Venn diagram.
Pour one-third of the bean mixture on top of the tortillas, and then the sauce-salsa, again top it with 2 more tortillas, bean mixture and the sauce again. Finally complete the process with the last 2 tortillas.
5. Spread the last bit of salsa on the top of the final tortillas and sprinkle the remaining cheese. Bake the lasagna in the oven for 30 minutes. Once baked take it out and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice the lasagna
like a pizza serve with any kind of salsa.
1. Like all recipes this Mexican recipe can be tweaked a little here and there. Anything can be used to make the sauce, but tomatoes and chilies are the main essential ingredient for Mexican food, these two should always make the recipe. For non-vegetarians minced meat or thin slices of meat can be used to mix with the sweet corn and then baked.
2. Food is all about taste, so making variations to improve taste according to the eaters preference is always a healthy practice.