In their cooking style and recipes there is a beautiful mixture of the western and eastern food. The specialty in their cooking is such that it is very rich and rare to find.
The recipe for the Goa style Fish fry is as follows.
A medium size Fish- Any sea fish like Bhetki, catfish, salmon, mackerel etc. can be used.
1 tablespoon of mustard seeds.
8 cloves of garlic peeled.
2 medium sized green chilies.
1 teaspoon of coriander powder.
Pinch of turmeric powder.
1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice.
1 cup of breadcrumb.
Salt to taste.
Peanut oil to fry.
1) Do not cut the fish into pieces, keep it as a whole. Clean the fish properly and wash it under running tap water.
2) Carefully make 3-4 slits with the help if a sharp knife on both the sides of the fish. Do not cut them so deep that the fish breaks up.
3) If the fish available is very big, make medium sizes of it. Marinate the fish with fresh lime juice for 5 minutes and then drain the excess water.
4) In a grinder, grind the mustard seeds, garlic cloves and green chilies together. Avoid grinding it for long as it can make the paste to taste a little bitter.
5) Take this paste and coat the fish/ fish pieces properly.
6) Apply the turmeric powder coriander powder and salt to the fish marinate and refrigerate the fish for 30-35 minutes in a covered container.
7) After the marinating time is up, take the egg and beat it up in a separate bowl, till it’s fluffy.
8 ) Carefully dip the marinated fish into the egg mix and then coat it with the breadcrumbs. Finishes doing all the pieces then go for the next step.
9) To avoid any spreading up and breadcrumb coat detachment, keep the fish/ fish pieces in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. This helps in binding.
10) Take a skillet and add the peanut oil to it. Put the gas mark to the highest. Once the oil is very hot, lower the gas mark to lower point carefully add the marinated and coated fish to it directly from the refrigerator. Increase the gas mark to medium and fry the fish by pressing it gently occasionally. Do not press it hard, as this will cause the fish to break up.
11) Turn on each side and fry till reddish in color. Serve it with onion slices and mint chutney.
Quick recipe for Mint Chutney
Handful of fresh Mint leaves.
Half a teaspoon of Salt.
Half a teaspoon of Brown sugar.
Half cup of non fat plain yoghurt.
2 Teaspoon of water.
1)Take all the ingredients in a mixer, and mix them for few seconds. The mint chutney is ready.
2) Refrigerate the chutney for 20 minutes before serving.