Meatloaf is actually a loaf of ground meat that looks exactly like an uncut bread loaf. It is mainly cooked with ground beef but ground turkey, pork, veil, chicken and venison can also be used. Meatloaf can be prepared in many ways and each house may have a different recipe and technique for making their meatloaf, but this recipe demonstrates the traditional way of making meatloaf. So, follow this simple recipe to enjoy this gorgeous meatloaf with your family.
Difficulty level: Easy
Servings per recipe: 6-8
Time required for preparation: 15-20 minutes
Time required for cooking: 1 hour 30 minutes
Appliances Required For Meatloaf Recipe
1 loaf pan
1 large mixing bowl
1 sharp knife
1 wire whisk
1 food processor
2 small bowls
2 pounds of lean ground beef
2/3rd cup of finely chopped onions
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of yellow mustard
3 large eggs
1 cup of milk, at room temperature
½ cup of finely chopped parsley
1 cup + ½ cup of ketchup
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
6-7 white bread
Method Of Cooking
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a loaf pan by lining it with an aluminum foil. Let the two sides of the foil hang downwards, as it will facilitate you to take out the meatloaf easily from the pan. Then take a large bowl and pour the milk in it. Put the bread slices in the bowl to allow the bread slices to soak up the milk. This will take hardly a few seconds. Once the breadcrumbs are softened, transfer them to a food processor and process them until you get lumps of breadcrumbs. You don’t need finely processed breadcrumbs for this purpose. Once done, transfer the breadcrumbs to a large bowl and set it aside.
2. Now chop up the parsley and the onion very finely so that they can be easily incorporated into the meatloaf. Next, add the milk, 1 cup of ketchup, finely chopped onions, salt, finely chopped parsley, breadcrumbs and the freshly ground black pepper to the meat. Next, take the eggs in a bowl and beat them thoroughly until the egg whites and the egg yolks completely get incorporated into one another. Once done, add the well-beaten eggs to the meat and then combine all the added things with your hands.
3. Make sure that all the added ingredients are thoroughly combined. Once done, roll the meat into a loaf and then transfer it into the meatloaf pan. Press the meat a little bit with your fingers to spread it to all the corners of the pan. Next, take a small bowl and combine the remaining ½ cup of ketchup, brown sugar and the yellow mustard in it. Stir the mixture to combine everything nicely and then brush this mixture on the top of the meatloaf. You can brush on as much ketchup mixture as you like.
4. Once you are done glazing the top of the meatloaf, pull over the hanging parts of the aluminum foil from the sides of the loaf pan and cover the meatloaf loosely with those side flaps. Once ready, transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake the meatloaf for 1 hour 15-20 minutes. When you are done baking the meatloaf, just remove the aluminum foil sides from the top of the meatloaf and let it bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes longer. The top of the meatloaf should turn a little brownish and glazy when properly baked.
5. Once done, take out the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool down the meatloaf. Once the meatloaf is cooled enough to handle, pull up the aluminum foil by holding its sides to take out the meatloaf from the pan. Once done, lift the meatloaf with two pizza spatulas and gently transfer it to a plate. Then cut the meatloaf into medium thick slices to serve.