Fajita is a Mexican recipe, which is prepared by wrapping flour tortillas over a filling of sautéed vegetables and grilled chicken. This is a super delicious food, which is normally eaten as a snack with guacamole, Pico de Gallo and sour cream. The recipe calls for just a few ingredients and is also pretty easy to make. So, prepare these wonderful Mexican snacks by following this simple recipe.
Difficulty level: Easy
Yields per recipe: 6
Time required for preparation: 1 hour
Time required for cooking: 30 minutes
1 lb. of chicken breast (skinless and boneless)
6 large flour tortillas
1 large bell pepper (thinly sliced)
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
1 large green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Pico de Gallo
For the Marinade
1/4th cup of olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
A bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3-4 large cloves of garlic, minced
½ teaspoon of ground cumin
½ teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon of ground white pepper
1 plastic zip-lock bag
1 large bowl
1 barbecue grill
1 wire whisk
Method of Cooking
1. Take the chicken breasts and put them in a colander. Transfer the colander to the sink and rinse the chicken breasts thoroughly under running water. Next, pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels and then trim off any excess fat from them. Once done, set aside the chicken breasts and take a large bowl.
Put the lemon juice, chopped coriander, minced garlic, ground white pepper, salt, cumin powder, Worcestershire sauce, dried oregano and the balsamic vinegar in the bowl. Whisk the mixture with a wire whisk to combine and then add the oil in a slow and thin stream while whisking the marinade continuously.
2. Once done, transfer the marinade to a zip-lock plastic bag and then put it into the refrigerator for 30 minutes before using it. Once the time elapses, take out the bag from the refrigerator and put the chicken breasts in the bag. Turn and twist the bag a few times to coat the chicken breasts nicely with the marinade and then pop the bag into the refrigerator to marinade the chicken for at least 1 hour.
3. Once the marinating time elapses, take out the chicken from the refrigerator and transfer it to a preheated grill. The grill should be very hot; otherwise, it will take more time to cook the chicken. While the chicken breasts are cooking, take the flour tortillas and wrap them up in an aluminum foil. Put the wrapped tortillas in the grill to just warm them up. Once you are ready with the chicken breasts, take them out and set them aside for cooling.
4. Now take the bell peppers and the onion and chop them up as stated above. Once done, take the grilled chicken breasts and slice them into medium thick slices. Once everything is ready, place a skillet on medium high heat and grease it with oil.
Once the oil heats up, add the chopped onions, grilled chicken and the sliced bell peppers to the oil to sauté them. Do not overcook the vegetables. They should retain their color and shape even after sautéing. Season the vegetables with salt, ground cumin and freshly ground black pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved marinade to the chicken and the vegetables and cook for 1 minute more. Now take the flour tortillas and top them with the sautéed vegetables and the grilled chicken. Fold the tortillas to prepare the fajitas and then serve them with the guacamole, sour cream and the Pico de Gallo.