Salads are a vital part of a meal, in fact it can be said that they are the most nutritious and healthy element of a meal. Not only are salads power packed with nutrients and vitamins they are also a treat to the palate.
With the wide array of salad recipes and ideas it is now even becoming increasingly easy to get children to eat this health food. Salads can be served with any meal, however below are some ideas and recipes for dinner salads that can add an extra zing to the entire meal.
Salad Nicoise comes from the town of Nice in France where tomatoes and blac olives are plentiful. Tuna hard boiled egg and French green beans complete the picture of this attractive and delicious salad.
250 grams canned tuna
4 to 5 ice berg lettuce – roughly torn and dipped in cold water
5 cherry tomatoes or 1 tomato cut
1 potato boiled and cut into wedges
4 to 6 green beans
6 round cucumber slices
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
6 black olives
1 hard boiled egg cut into pieces
For the Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
1 ½ tablespoon vinegar
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons mustard
1 teaspoons honey
½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons fresh herbs
2 tablespoons cream
1. For the honey mustard vinaigrette dressing put all the ingredients except fresh herbs and cream, into a bowl. Mix well with a whisk, until the dressing is slightly emulsified. Store covered in the refrigerator. Before using bring the jar to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before the dressing is needed and mix again.
2. When needed add the cream and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as dill, fennel or mint for a stronger flavor.
3. At the time of serving wrap the lettuce leaves in a clean kitchen towel to pat dry. Put the leave in the bottom of a serving bowl, pour 1 tablespoon of the dressing on them. Put the green beans, cucumber, potatoes and tomatoes. Pour in rest of the dressing.
4. Top the salad with tuna, black olives and parsley, lightly toss and garnish with the hard boiled eggs.
This recipe serves 3 to 4 persons.
Thai Egg Salad
This classic Thai Salad is sure to bring an authentic touch to your meal. This tangy and delicious salad is sure to be the star on your dinner menu.
3 hard boiled eggs
½ cup chopped green raw mangoes, or cooking apple
½ cup mint leaves
2 tablespoons chopped onions, preferably green onions
½ cup shredded cabbage
½ cup grated carrot
For the Dressing
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 green chilli chopped
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons salad oil
1. For the dressing grind together the lemon juice, green chilli, garlic, salt and oil. Keep aside
2. Peel and cut the eggs into slices.
3. Mix together all the other ingredients and pour most of the dressing on top of the mixture. Add the boiled eggs and pour in the remaining dressing on the eggs. Toss lightly and garnish with lettuce leaves and tomato wedges and serve.
This recipe serves up to 4 persons.