Spinach lasagna is all about taste and health. It a miraculous combination of taste and health because it contains spinach and the taste is imparted by the different types of cheeses that fill and top the lasagna noodles.
The gooey, cheesy top makes the lasagna noodles taste very delicate but the marinara sauce adds just the right amount of spiciness to the taste to cut through its subtle taste. So, make sure that you try this recipe if you want to feed some spinach to your kids.
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 40-45 minutes
9 lasagna noodles
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 cups of fat-free ricotta cheese
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and minced
9 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup + 1/4th cup of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
Salt, to taste
4 cups of fresh or canned marinara sauce
A pinch of red pepper flakes
½ cup of parmesan cheese (grated)
Freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of dried basil
1. Set your oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit before starting the preparation. Next, take a large pot and fill it almost halfway up with water. Place the pot on the stove and maintain the flame on high. Wait until the water comes to a rolling boil and then add salt to the water. Drop the lasagna noodles carefully into the pot and cook them until they turn al dente. In the meantime, grate the parmesan cheese and set it aside in a bowl.
2. Once you are ready with the lasagna noodles, drain away the excess water and tip the noodles into a colander. Let the noodles remain in the colander until all of the water gets drained away and then set them aside. After that, take a medium sized bowl and crack open the egg in that. Add the ricotta cheese to the eggs and follow that by adding the red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese and dry basil.
3. After that, take the garlic cloves and peel off their skin. Mince all the garlic cloves and then tip them into the bowl of eggs. After that, take the spinach and drain away the water from it. Chop the spinach roughly and then add that to the egg mixture as well. Finally, add salt and freshly ground black pepper as per your requirement and then whisk the mixture nicely until everything is well mixed.
4. Now take a 9×13-inch baking pan and grease it’s every nook and corner with cooking spray or any flavorless oil. Once done, line the bottom of the baking pan with ½ cup of marinara sauce and then set it aside. Now take the lasagna noodles and lay them on your counter. Spread about 4 tablespoons of the cheese and spinach mixture all over the lasagna noodles and then top each lasagna sheet with 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce and 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese.
5. Once the entire lasagna sheet is covered with the mixture, roll it up and then place it in the prepared baking pan. Roll up the rest of the lasagna noodles in the same way and fill up the pan. Once done, spread the remaining mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce over the noodles and then get hold of a foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray and then cover the pan with it.
6. Insert the pan into the preheated oven and bake the lasagna for 30-35 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese on top turns bubbly. Once ready, remove from oven and let it stand for 5-6 minutes before serving.