Appetizers are basically small platters of food served prior to the main course of a meal. Appetizers are an ideal start to a great meal and also a perfect way to commence a party.
There are various types of appetizers ranging from soup, salads, and protein dishes, all of which are easy to make and are mouthwatering and delicious.
So, if you are planning a dinner or a luncheon gathering here are some gourmet appetizer ideas which can add to the success of your party and also offer your guests an absolute treat.
Mushroom Parsley Bruschetta
These are crispy herbed flavored bread slices topped with herbed mushrooms and make for a delicious appetizer.
Photo Credit: Stockmannherkku.fi
For the topping
200 grams mushrooms
¾ cups chopped fresh parsley
4 table spoons olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
4 garlic flakes, finely chopped
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon freshly ground peppercorns
For the Bread
A small French bread cut into slices of ½ inch thickness
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic flakes, crushed
1. Heat oil. Add in the garlic flakes and onions. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes till the onions turn light brown.
2. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, add the parsley.
3. Add the salt pepper and oregano and remove from the heat.
4. For the bread mix 4 tablespoons olive oil with the crushed garlic.
5. Brush the flavoured oil on each slice and keep aside till serving time.
6. At serving time, bake the bread slices in an oven pre-heated to 200*C / 400*F for 10 about minutes till each slice is lightly toasted and crisp. Alternately, toast the slice on a pan or a griddle on low heat till crisp on both sides.
7. Spread one heaped tablespoon of the mushroom mixture on to the toasted slices, garnish with some chopped parsley and serve immediately.
This recipe has a preparation time of approximately 30 minutes and makes 30 slices.
Mozzarella with Tomatoes
The splendor of this dish lies in its ease and vibrant flavors that it offers, an absolute treat to the palate.
Photo Credit: Lambik-restaurant.com
3 small red tomatoes (the tomatoes should be ripe yet firm)
100 grams mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh cheese
6 to 8 black olives cut in half
A few parsley or basil leaves dipped in chilled water
For the Dressing
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic flakes, finely chopped
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly grounded pepper (white pepper can also be used)
1. Slice the tomatoes into thick circles and the cheese into 1 inch squares of about ¼ inch thickness.
2. In a flat platter arrange the cheese slices. Top each slice of cheese with a tomato slice. Arrange the olives and basil leaves on the tomato slice.
3. Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic, oregano, salt and pepper with a whisk till well blended.
4. Spoon some dressing on the tomato and cheese slices. Cover with a plastic wrap and keep aside in the refrigerator till serving time.
This appetizer recipe has a preparation time of 20 minutes and serves about 4 persons. This appetizer goes best when served with a glass of red wine.