Giada De Laurentiis is a famous name when it comes to Italian cooking. Emmy Award winner Giada is a household name. Born in Rome Giada learned Italian cooking early. With the launch of Giada’s show in Food Network 2002, her popularity touched sky-high. With many shows and cookbooks in hand, any Giada recipe is sure to make a mark in your taste bud.
Among all the diverse and versatile Giada recipes from “Giada at Home”, Chicken Milanese with Fennel Sauce and Tomato is mouthwatering affair. If you have a special dinner to arrange at home, Giada recipe Chicken Milanese with Tomato and Fennel Sauce is surely going to make your guests comeback again and again.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Serving: 4 to 6
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 28 minutes
Total Time: 43 minutes
For The Chicken
⅓ Cup flour
2 Big eggs
1¼ cups bread crumbs (dried)
⅔ Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tsp basil dried
1 Tsp thyme dried
4 Chicken breast halves (skin removed and tenderloins removed)
Salt and black pepper grounded
⅓ Cup oil (preferably vegetable)
For the Sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Thinly sliced fennel bulbs (reserve the fronds for garnish)
2 Cups halved cherry tomatoes,
1 Minced garlic clove,
1 Tsp thyme
Salt and grounded black pepper to taste
½ Cup mascarpone cheese, kept at room temperature
Method of Preparation
For the Chicken
1. In the oven put an oven rack at the center and preheat it at 150°F. Take a rimmed baking tray and line it with a wired rack. Take 3 shallow bowls, in the first one crack the 2 eggs and beat them gently. In the second bowl, spoon the flour and in the third one, mix the parmesan cheese, bread crumbs,with basil and thyme.
2. Wrap the chicken breast pieces in a plastic hygienic wrap and place it on the chopping board of clean flat area. Use a meat mallet and keep on beating the chicken pieces till they become ½ to ¼ inch in thickness. Now season the chicken with grounded pepper and salt.
3. Take the chicken pieces and first coat them in the flour, then into the beaten eggs and finally with the breadcrumb and parmesan cheese mix. Press lightly to make sure the crumbs remain stuck.
4. Take a nonstick sauté pan; heat the vegetable oil at medium heat. Fry the chicken pieces on each side till they are golden-brown. Drain the oil and place the chicken in the hot baking tray in the oven to keep them warm. (Do not start the oven). Keep the cooking juices in the sauté pan.
For the Sauce
1. Add the olive oil to the sauté pan with the reserved cooking juices of the chicken. Let is heat a little.
2. Add the fennel and stir for 5 to 6 minutes till they are soft. Add salt and pepper according to taste; also add the cherry tomatoes, thyme and garlic. Cook for 6 minutes or till the tomatoes are tender.
3. Removing the pan from the heat, add the mascarpone cheese after 1-minute and stir till the texture becomes creamy and thick. Season the sauce with pepper.
Place the cooked chicken in a platter and pour the sauce on top. Garnish the dish with fennel fronds.