Giada de Laurentiis is an Italian chef, who is considered to be one of the master chefs of Italian cooking. Her vibrant personality and amazing cooking skills has helped her rise to the top. Presently Giada hosts her cookery show “Giada at Home” in food channel.
Giada demonstrated this amazingly easy and delicious recipe in one of her cookery shows and also revealed the secrets of cooking fresh pasta. So, if you want to cook crab Napoleons in Giada’s style, you can follow this recipe to do so.
Difficulty level: Easy
Servings per recipe: 6
Time required for preparation: 30-35 minutes
Time required for cooking: 10-12 minutes
1 large pot
2 large bowls
1 medium sized bowl
12 oz. of fresh pasta sheets
1 lb. of crab meat (lump)
½ cup of chopped fresh chives
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
1 cup + 1/4th cup of mayonnaise
A pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of lemon zest, for garnishing
1/4th teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Method of Preparation
1. First, take out the frozen peas from the refrigerator to thaw them at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Then take the fresh pasta sheets and cut them into equal sized squares. Next, take a large pot and fill it with enough water so as to completely cover the pasta in it.
Place the pot on the hob and light up the flame. Set the flame on high and let the water come to a boil. Once the water starts boiling slowly, throw-in a pinch of salt and then let the water boil for 10 seconds. Once the time elapses, tip-in the pasta sheet squares into the pot and boil them for 2-3 minutes or until they turn al-dente.
2. While the pasta sheets are cooking, take a small bowl and pour the mayonnaise in it. Then take the chives and chop them finely. After that, take the lemon and roll it with your palm to extract maximum juice out of it. Then squeeze the lemon over the mayonnaise and add about 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to the mayonnaise.
Stir the mixture to combine the lemon juice with the mayonnaise and then add-in a pinch of salt, 1/3rd part of the chopped chives and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper to it. Stir the mixture once again to combine all the added ingredients.
3. Now take another bowl and put some ice-cold water in it. Check the cooking pasta sheets and if they are cooked, transfer them immediately to the bowl of ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. Let the pasta sheets sit in the ice-cold water for a few minutes.
While the pasta sheets are cooling down, take the crab meat in a large bowl and add the thawed peas, a pinch of salt, remaining chopped chives, a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and 1/4th part of the mayonnaise mixture to the crab meat.
4. Toss the mixture to combine the sauce with the meat and the peas and then set it aside. Now take out the pasta sheets from the ice-cold water bath and pat-dry them with paper towels. After that, take a serving plate and place one of the pasta sheets on it.
Spoon out about 1 heaping tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture and drop it at the center of the pasta sheet. Spread the mixture all over the pasta sheet and then spoon out 1-2 tablespoons of the crab mixture on top of it. Spread the crab mixture as well and then place another pasta sheet on top of it.
5. Repeat the same method of layering the mayonnaise sauce mixture and crab meat mixture on the top of the second pasta sheet and then repeat the whole process twice with two more pasta sheets. Once done, spread a little bit of the mayonnaise mixture on top of the last pasta sheet and then serve with some more chopped chives and lemon zest.