Not everyone likes the idea of baking a flourless cake. Truth be told, flourless cakes can be a little dicey to prepare considering that there is no flour to hold the cake together. However, a flourless cake tastes just as good, if not better, and is healthier than a flour cake.
In this section we will share with you the recipe for making a Flourless Chocolate Cake. It is important that the ingredients for the cake be measured properly and the cake baked for the recommended time. Baking the cake for less time will make your cake taste more like chocolate mousse. Similarly, over-baking the cake will turn it into flourless cookies. So, it is very important that the baking time be taken care of and the cake checked from time to time to test its readiness.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients Required for Making Flourless Chocolate Cake
Bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or bittersweet chocolate chips) – 450 grams
Unsalted butter, softened – 115 grams
Eggs – 9
Granulated white sugar – ¾ cup + 10 grams
Cold and heavy cream – 450 grams
Icing sugar – 1 tablespoon
*Break the eggs and keep the egg whites and the yolks in separate bowls.
Method of Preparation for Flourless Chocolate Cake
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Take a spring form pan and lightly grease it with oil or butter. You can even line the bottom of the spring form with parchment paper and then butter the paper.
2. Take a stainless steel bowl and add pieces of bittersweet chocolate and butter to the bowl. Pour water in a large pan and place the pan over medium heat. Place the stainless steel bowl in the water filled pan. Allow the chocolate and the butter to melt together. Keep stirring the mixture until the butter and chocolate dissolve completely. Ensure there are no lumps.
Photo Credit: Wallpaperfreehd.com/food-and-drink/flourless-chocolate-cake-1576.html
3. Take the bowl of yolks and add sugar in it. Beat the egg yolks and the sugar for 5-7 minutes until you get soft and fluffy peaks. The sugar should dissolve completely. Pour some melted chocolate and butter mixture in the bowl of beaten yolks. This will help temper the eggs. Use only a small amount of the chocolate mixture to avoid making a scramble of the eggs from the heat of the chocolate mixture.
4. Now pour the left over molten chocolate mixture in the beaten yolks mixture. Whisk until the two combine perfectly. Set aside. Take the bowl of egg whites and beat them till you get stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites very gently into the chocolate mixture.
5. Pour the cake batter into the spring form pan and bake the cake for at least 25 minutes. You will know the cake is ready when it starts breaking from the top. Insert a toothpick in the centre of the cake to test its readiness.
6. Take the cake from the oven and let it cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan. While the cake cools, whip the cream.
7. Dust the cake with icing sugar and serve it along with a dollop of whipped cream.
Photo Credit: Yourdailychocolate.com/flourless-chocolate-cake-recipes