Hot wings are deep fried chicken wings coated in a hot and spicy sauce. This is a very popular fast food and is often served with a milder blue cheese dipping sauce to tone down the spicy flavor. The chicken wings are first coated in a flour mixture and then they are deep fried until they turn crispy.
Finally, the deep fried chicken wings are tossed and coated in a spicy sauce to finish off the cooking. This is a super easy recipe, which requires just a handful of ingredients. But the kind of satisfaction that it provides to the taste buds is simply incomparable. So, make sure you try this recipe at your home to win the hearts of your family members.
Difficulty level: Easy
Servings per recipe: 4-6
Preparation time required: 30 minutes
Cooking time required:25-30 minutes
2 large bowls
1 deep skillet
1 medium bowl
1 spider strainer
2 pounds of chicken wings, bone-in and with-skin
Celery sticks, for serving
1 teaspoon of ancho chili powder
Salt, to taste
1 cup of all-purpose flour
3/4th teaspoon of garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Blue cheese dipping sauce
Vegetable oil for frying
For the Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon of ancho chili powder
1/4th cup of red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
½ stick of unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon of new Mexico chili powder
Salt, to taste
2-3 teaspoons of honey
1-2 teaspoons of pureed chipotle chilies
For the Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
3 tablespoons of grated blue cheese
1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh cilantro
2/3rd cup of Greek yoghurt
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon of peeled and grated red onion
Freshly ground black pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Prepare the dipping sauce first because it needs some time to sit in the refrigerator. For that, take a large bowl and combine the grated blue cheese, Greek yoghurt, grated red onion, salt, black pepper and the chopped cilantro in it.
Stir all the added ingredients to mix them nicely and then insert the bowl into the refrigerator. Let the sauce sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.
2. Next, take a large bowl and a sieve. Place the sieve over the bowl and then put some of the flour into it. Slowly shake the sieve to sift the flour into the bowl and then sift the remaining flour in the same way.
Once done, add the garlic powder, a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of ancho chili powder and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper to the sifted flour. Stir and combine all the added ingredients with the flour. Once done, set aside the bowl of flour mixture for later use.
3. Now take the chicken wings and split them at the joints. Remove the cap from the joints and then set aside the chicken wings on a plate. Now take a deep skillet and place it on the stove. Light up the flame and set it on high.
Pour 4-5 cups of cooking oil into the skillet and let the oil heat up. While the oil is heating up, take the chicken wings and put them into the flour mixture. Toss and coat the chicken pieces nicely with the flour mixture and then shake off the excess flour from them.
4. Put 4-5 flour coated chicken wings into the hot oil. Deep fry the chicken wings for 8-10 minutes or until they turn crispy and golden brown in color. Once done, strain out the chicken wings from the oil and keep them aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
Deep fry the rest of the chicken wings in the same way and then remove the skillet from the stove. Next, place a saucepan on the stove and set the flame on medium low.
5. Put the red wine vinegar, ancho chili powder, new Mexico chili powder, Dijon mustard and the chipotle chili puree into the saucepan and stir to mix everything nicely. Once done, cook the sauce for 4-5 minutes or until it thickens up a bit.
Once the sauce thickens up, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk-in the butter, salt and the honey. Whisk the sauce to combine everything very nicely. Once done, toss the deep fried chicken wings in the hot sauce and coat each of them very nicely. Once done, serve the hot wings with the prepared blue cheese dipping sauce and the celery sticks.