Candied yam is a very popular side dish in America, which is normally served during thanksgiving to mark the indignity of sweet potatoes. This sweet and spicy dish is prepared by baking sweet potato slices in a sugar and spice syrup.
The spiciness of the sugar syrup lends an entirely different type of flavor to the sweet potatoes, making them more flavorful, juicier and palatable.
Candied yams is a very simple sweet side dish, which only calls for slicing the sweet potatoes and preparing a sugar mixture. It is also pretty quick and simple recipe. Candied yams are pretty popular among children and you can make them eat some healthy foods in the form of this wonderful dish.
4 large sweet potatoes
1 stick of butter
2 cups of brown sugar
1/5th teaspoon of ground cinnamon
A pinch of ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons of maple syrup
1/4th cup of heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1. First, take a colander and throw the sweet potatoes in that. Position the colander in the sink and then rinse the sweet potatoes thoroughly by rubbing them with your fingers. Rinse the sweet potatoes one by one and then set them aside. Take a large saucepan and position it over the stove. Pour water into the saucepan and then let it come to a light boil on medium high heat. Once the water starts to boil, drop-in 4 sweet potatoes and boil them until they become fork tender.
2. Once that happens, strain out the water from the saucepan and place the boiled sweet potatoes in a plate to let them cool down. Once the sweet potatoes are entirely cooled, peel off their skins. Now take one of the peeled sweet potatoes and slice it into 1/3rd inch thick slices. Repeat the same procedure with the other three sweet potatoes. Once done, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Next, take a large saucepan and place it on medium low heat. Tip the stick of butter into the saucepan and the stir it lightly to speed up its melting process. Once the butter is entirely melted, add the brown sugar to it. Stir the sugar with the butter until it melts and then add the heavy whipping cream, maple syrup, ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon to the sugar and butter mixture. Stir and cook the mixture for another 2-3 minutes or until it turns smooth and creamy.
4. Once the sugar and spice mixture turns creamy, add the pure vanilla extract to it and then give a light stir to combine. Now take a large baking dish and spread the sweet potato slices in it.
Turn off the stove and spread the entire sugar and spice mixture evenly over the yams. Toss the sweet potato slices briefly with a small spoon so as to coat all off them with the sugar mixture.
5. Once you are ready with the oven, pop the baking dish uncovered into the preheated oven and then bake the sweet potatoes for 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown in color.
Spoon the sugar mixture occasionally over the sweet potatoes while baking to keep them moist and soft. Once ready, serve the candied yams in individual serving plates.