Chow mein can be prepared easily at home by frying noodles with vegetables like cabbage, carrots and beans. It is popularly relished with hot and spicy chilli chicken or any other dish prepared with chicken or prawns. The crispy noodles can be served as a main course dish during dinner or can also be savoured as a delicious snack.
The recipe is also made healthy with the addition of nutritious vegetables like carrot, cabbage and beans which contain vital nutrients like folate, Vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber and potassium to name only few. Prepare this mouth-watering recipe at home and enjoy with your family and friends.
Egg noodles- 500 grams
Shredded carrots- 1 cup
Shredded beans- 1 cup
Shredded cabbage- 1 cup
Groundnut oil- 4 tablespoons
Ajinomoto- ½ teaspoon (optional)
Vinegar- 1 tablespoons
Soya sauce- 1 tablespoons
Boneless chicken- 250 grams
Chopped spring onion- 2 tablespoons
Refined oil- For frying
Salt- To taste
Pepper powder- To taste
Method of Preparation:
1) Chop the cabbage and carrots into small pieces. Cut the beans into long thin pieces. Boil the vegetables for few minutes and drain off the water. Put them on a plate and let them dry. Chop the onions into big pieces. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
2) Now prepare the noodles. Put a big pan on the flame. Add 2 litres of water, one tablespoon groundnut oil and little salt. Let the water boil for few minutes. Now put the egg noodles and let it boil for about 5 minutes. Stir the noodles occasionally and check to see whether the noodles have turned soft. Boil them for an additional 2 minutes to ensure the noodles get properly cooked. Now strain off the excess water and spread the noodles on a big plate. Pour cold water on the noodles and wash gently. Now pour little groundnut oil on top of the noodles. This will prevent the noodles from getting entangled and soggy.
3) Put a big frying pan on the flame. Add adequate amount of refined oil and let it heat for few seconds. Now add the onion slices and fry until they turn light brown in colour. Next add the carrots, cabbage and beans and fry for 3-4 minutes. Now add the chicken and fry for 10-12 minutes.
4) Next add the soya sauce, vinegar, ajinomoto, pepper powder and very little salt. Stir the chicken for 1-2 minutes and turn off the flame.
5) Pour adequate amount of oil into the frying pan. Let it heat for 1 minute. Separate the boiled noodles with a fork. Now put the noodles into the pan and fry until it turns crisp. Next add the vegetables, spring onion and chicken to the pan and mix together with the noodles.
6) Pour the chow mein on the serving plate. Sprinkle some chilli sauce or tomato sauce on top. Serve absolutely hot.