‘Mole’ is the general term that is given to the different kinds of delicious sauces which are extensively used in Mexican Cuisine. Even the dishes that are prepared using these piquant sauces are referred to as mole.
Mole sauce which has a velvety texture and abounds in flavor, is often served as an entrée in large parties with just a hint of cheese or chicken sprinkled on top of the sauce.
About Mole Sauce
The Mexican mole sauce, which has been given the more specific tag of mole pablano in the Spanish language, basically refers to the different kinds of sauces including the pipian, almendrado and colarado sauces which form the very heart and soul of Mexican cuisine. The mole sauce which comes in variety of colors and flavors are especially popular in the southern and central parts of Mexico.
There are many versions as to how this piquant sauce was invented. The most popular version is that mole sauce was invented by the nuns of the Convent of Santa Rosa. The nuns who were informed of the impending visit of the Archbishop desperately searched the nunnery kitchen for some food.
However, when the nuns discovered that there was absolutely nothing in the kitchen that could be served to the Archbishop, they began to pray fervently. According to lore, an angel appeared and directed the nuns to make a dish using divergent ingredients. The concoction the nuns managed to create was much appreciated by the Archbishop.
How To Make Basic Cheese Enchiladas
Mouthwatering & Delicious Mexican Foods
Delicious Butter Chicken Recipe
Crispy Chicken Pakoda Recipe
Delicious Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe
How To Make Coq Au Vin
Enjoy The Baked Mexican Bean Enchiladas Recipe
Bell Pepper Chopped – 3/4 cup
Onion Chopped – 3/4 cup
Garlic Clove Minced Finely – 1
Vegetable Oil – 1tbsp
Sugar – 1tbsp
Unsweetened Cocoa – 3tbsp
Chili Powder – 1tbsp
Cumin Powder – 1tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Canned Tomatoes Drained and Chopped – 1 can
Canned Green Chilies Drained and Chopped – 1 can
Boned and Skinned Chicken Thighs – 3
Boned and Skinned Chicken Breast Halves – 3
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1 tbsp
Cornstrach – 2 tbsp
Hot Cooked Rice – 6 cups
Cilantro Sprigs – A Few
1. Take a large casserole dish (about two quarts in size).
2. In the casserole dish combine bell pepper, chopped onions, minced garlic clove and vegetable oil.
3. Wrap the casserole dish with aluminium foil. Make tiny holes in the alumium foil using a fork.
4. Place the casserole dish inside a microwave oven and microwave the ingredients for about 4 minutes.
5. Remove the casserole dish from the microwave. Remove the aluminium foil. Now add sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin powder, salt chopped tomatoes and chilies. Mix the ingredients well.
6. Place the chicken thighs and breasts over the chopped tomatoes and season with salt.
7. Wrap the casserole dish with aluminium foil and transfer the dish back inside the microwave.
8. Microwave the ingredients for another 8 minutes.
9. Remove the casserole dish from microwave and mix the ingredients.
10. Cover the casserole dish and return it to the microwave. Microwave the dish for another 8 minutes.
11. Remove the casserole dish from the microwave and remove the cooked chicken pieces. Transfer the chicken pieces into a serving dish.
12. In a saucepan combine hot water and cornstarch to form smooth paste. Add this cornstarch mixture to the tomato sauce in the casserole.
13. Transfer the casserole to the microwave and microwave the ingredients for about 5 minutes.
14. Pour the thickened tomato paste over the chicken pieces. Chicken mole dish is ready to be served with hot cooked rice.
Photo Credit: Recipesforthefamily.com