Thai people heavily depend on vegetables to cook their regular dishes but one of the very fancy Thai dish that you can easily cook with just vegetables, is the Thai vegetable spring roll.
Spring rolls are very easy to make and they are perfect snacks. They are pretty simple yet delicious enough to be presented to guests. So, just chop up some vegetables of your choice and then roll them up in spring roll wrappers to deep fry them and to finally eat them with a sweet and spicy spring roll dipping sauce.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Servings Per Recipe: 10-12
Time Required For Preparation: 30-40 minutes
Time Required For Cooking: 5-10 minutes
1 large wok
1 large mixing bowl
1 small microwave safe bowl
1 stirring spoon
1 large pot
8 spring roll wrappers, thawed
1 cucumber, finely shredded
1 cup + ½ cup of finely shredded cabbage
8 oz. of bean vermicelli (clear noodles)
3 cups of fresh bean sprouts
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of soy sauce
1 cup of thinly sliced mushrooms
2 medium sized carrots, finely shredded
6-7 cups of vegetable oil
Salt, to taste
4 tablespoons of water
½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
For The Dipping Sauce
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
½ cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of fish sauce
1-2 red chilies, thinly chopped
1/4th cup of red vinegar
1 small carrot, finely shredded
½ cup of water, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of corn flour
Method Of Preparation
1. First, thaw the wrappers for 10-15 minutes. Then take the thawed wrappers and separate out the individual wrappers from the pack by pulling them one by one. Be careful while doing this because the wrappers are very fragile and thin, so they may easily tear on pulling them too hard. Separate out the wrappers one by one and then put them under a damp cloth to keep them moist. Next, take the mushrooms and cut off their bases to retain only the mushrooms caps. Then slice the mushrooms very thinly so that they can be pretty easily packed in the springs rolls.
2. Then take the cabbage, carrots and the cucumber and shred them. Once all the vegetables are shredded, keep them aside in a plate. Now take a pot and fill it up with water. Then place the pot on the stove and light up the flame. Turn the knob to set the flame on medium low and wait for the water to heat up.
The water should be hot but it should not start boiling. Once the water heats up, remove the pot from the stove and place it on your working table. Then put the vermicelli bunch into the hot water and let it remain there for 5 minutes or until the noodles become soft.
3. While the noodles are softening up, take a saucepan and put ½ cup of water, red vinegar, fish sauce and the sugar in it. Follow that by adding the shredded carrot, minced garlic, red chilies and the corn flour. Stir the mixture nicely with a spoon to mix all the added ingredients. Make sure that the corn flour is completely dissolved in the liquid. Once done, place the saucepan on the stove and light up the flame to set it on low. Cook the sauce while stirring it occasionally. You may have to cook the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until it thickens up. Once done, turn off the flame and let the sauce cool down.
4. Once you are ready with the noodles, take them out of the pot and cut the bunch to make the strands shorter. Once done, put the noodles into a large mixing bowl and then top those with the shredded carrots, bean sprouts, shredded cabbage, sliced mushrooms, shredded cucumber, salt, soy sauce and the black pepper. Toss the mixture with your hands to nicely mix all the things. Next, take a microwave safe bowl and dissolve the water and flour in it. Then insert the bowl into the microwave to harden up the glue for 30 seconds.
5. Once everything is done, take one of the wrappers and place it by facing one of the corners towards you. Then put 3-4 tablespoons of the filling mixture over the wrapper and arrange it nicely. Put the filling over the corner of the wrapper that is closest to you. Then pull up that corner and fold it over the filling. Roll the filling and the wrapper twice and then pull up the remaining two corners from the sides and fold them tightly over the filling. Continue rolling the filling with the wrapper until you reach the opposite corner. Then rub a little bit glue on that corner and then roll the filling over the glued corner to seal the roll. Make all the spring rolls in the same way and then place them on a plate.
6. Then take a wok and put 7-8 cups of oil in it. Place the wok on the stove and light up the flame. Adjust the flame to set it on medium high and wait for the oil to heat up. Once the oil starts crackling, carefully put 3-5 spring rolls into the oil and then deep fry them.
Flip the spring rolls continuously to evenly fry them. Fry the spring rolls until they turn into a golden brown color and then transfer them to a paper towel lined plate. Fry the remaining spring rolls in the same way and then serve them with the prepared spring roll dipping sauce.
1. You may use any kinds of vegetables according to your choice.
2. Always follow the stated procedure of rolling the spring rolls because if you don’t fold them correctly, then the filling will come out while frying.
3. You can add a little fish sauce to the filling to impart some saltiness to it.
4. You can use your favorite dipping sauce instead of using the one stated in this recipe.