Green bean is a very popular ingredient in Asian cuisines. There are thousands of Asian recipes that use green beans as their main ingredient, but one of the most famous Asian green bean recipes is the stir-fried Szechuan green bean recipe. This is a very simple recipe which gets prepared within just a few minutes. The spicy and crunchy stir fried green beans taste awesome when served with chicken and cooked rice.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Servings Per Recipes: 4-5
Time Required For Preparation: 10-15 minutes
Time Required For Cooking: 10 minutes
1 lb. of green beans
4-5 dried chilies
2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
3 medium sized cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of hoisin sauce
3 teaspoons of brown sugar
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons of Szechuan peppercorns
Salt, to taste
Cooking oil (peanut or vegetables oil)
1 skillet or wok
1 slotted spoon
1 mortar and pestle
Method Of Cooking
1. Take the green beans in a colander and then transfer them to the sink to rinse the green beans thoroughly under water. Once done, shake the colander to discard all of the excess water and then transfer the green beans to a plate. Pat-dry the beans with paper towels to make them completely dry before they can be put into the skillet for frying.
2. Then take the green beans and arrange them in a bunch to snap off the ends from their top and bottom. Then cut the green beans in halves so that they can all be of the same size. Next, take the garlic cloves and smash them with the back of your knife. Peel off the skins and then chop the garlic cloves very finely. Next, take the red chilies and the ginger and chop them as stated above. Finely, chop the spring onions very finely.
3. Once everything is done, drop the Szechuan peppercorns into the mortar and grind them lightly with a pestle. You don’t have to grind the peppercorns too finely. The texture of the grinded peppercorns should be similar to red pepper flakes. Once you are ready with everything, take a skillet and place it on the stove. Light up the flame and set it on medium high. Wait for the skillet to heat up and then put the cooking oil in it.
4. Once the oil starts smoking, add the dry green beans to it and stir fry them for 6-7 minutes or until they become very tender and start developing brown blisters. The green beans should remain crunchy even after stir-frying them. Once the green beans are fried, fish them out of the skillet with a slotted spoon and then transfer them to a paper towel lined plate. Next, put the chopped red chilies and the grinded Szechuan peppercorns into the skillet and sauté them for 10-20 seconds or until aromatic.
5. Next, add-in the minced ginger and the chopped garlic and sauté them for 20 seconds more or until they turn slightly golden brown in color. Finally, add-in the chopped spring onions and the fried green beans. Stir all the things together to combine and then add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar and the salt to the green beans mixture. Stir to combine everything and then stir-fry the beans for 30 seconds more. Once done, serve the stir-fried Szechuan green beans with rice.