Lasagna is an utterly rich and mouthwatering dish that is primarily cooked with a flavorful meat sauce, lots of different types of cheese and most importantly with lasagna sheets. This is a traditional Italian recipe, which is super easy to make and assemble, but you get something great in return for too little efforts.
Difficulty level: Easy
Servings Per recipe: 8-10
Time Required For Preparation: 20-30 minutes
Time Required For Cooking: 4 hours
Time Required For Baking: 25-30 minutes
8-12 lasagna sheets
1 pound of ground sausage
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 pound of ricotta cheese
1 pound of mozzarella cheese slices
2 tablespoons of dried parsley
5-6 fresh basil leaves
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of dried parsley
1 cup of red wine
1 cup of grated parmesan or parmiggiano reggiano cheese
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 pound of ground beef sirloin
3 cans of tomato puree
2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 wooden stirring spoon
1 large mixing bowl
1 large spoon
1 large pot
1 13×9-inch baking pan
Method Of Preparation:
1. Take a skillet and place it on medium heat. Grease the skillet with about 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil and wait until the oil heats up. Once the oil starts crackling, dump the onions and garlic in it. Sauté the onions and garlic lightly for about 2-3 minutes or until they are really soft and translucent. Next, add the ground beef and the ground sausage to the sautéed onions and garlic and try to break the large lumps of meats with a wooden spoon. Cook the meats until they no longer remain pink and turn into a brown color. You should be able to know that the meat is cooked when the juices run clear.
2. Once done, tilt the skillet slightly and discard half of the juices from the skillet. Next, add the red wine to it and stir and cook the beef for another 1-2 minutes. Follow that by adding the tomato puree to the meat. Give a brief stir to the meat and season it with 2 generous pinches of salt and a pinch of ground black pepper. Then reduce down the heat to low and cover the skillet partially with a lid. Let the meat cook for a good 4 hours. Check the cooking meat sauce occasionally and stir it once in a while to prevent it from burning at the bottom.
3. Once done, add few basil leaves to the meat sauce and adjust the seasonings accordingly. Let the sauce cook uncovered for 1 more minute and then turn off the stove. Next, take a pot and fill it with 3-4 cups of water, so that the lasagna sheets can be completely submerged in it. Add a pinch of salt to the water and place the pot on medium heat. Boil and cook the lasagna sheets for 3-4 minutes or until they are pliable and not very soft. Once that happens, drain the water by transferring the lasagna sheets carefully into a colander.
4. Next, take a mixing bowl and combine the ricotta cheese, dried parsley, dried basil and the eggs in it. Once you get a soft and nicely combined mixture, start assembling the lasagna. For that, take your baking pan and drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil in it. Brush the olive oil in the entire pan to prevent the lasagna from sticking to it. Once done, pour a ladleful of the meat sauce into the pan and spread it all across the base of the pan. Next, place 4-5 lasagna sheets in the pan by overlapping each with the other.
5. Follow that by creating a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture, a layer of meat sauce on top of that and lastly by placing a few slices of mozzarella cheese on top of the ricotta cheese mixture. Finally, sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese or parmiggiano reggiano cheese on top the mozzarella slices and then repeat the same thing, starting from adding a layer of meat sauce, layer of lasagna sheets, a layer of ricotta cheese mixture on top of that, then a layer of mozzarella slices and finally a layer of grated parmesan cheese.
6. Once done, insert the baking pan into a 350 degree preheated oven and bake the lasagna covered or uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until the top turns bubbly. Finally, take out the lasagna from the oven, let it sit for 20 minutes at room temperature and then serve it by adding a layer of meat sauce on top.