Palak Paneer is a popular North Indian dish. North Indian food is rich and is generally prepared in thick curries. People in Punjab in particular like to eat their dishes with different types of rotis and it becomes easier for them to dip rotis in thick gravy. Whereas people from other regions of India where they eat more of rice make their dishes a little more liquidly to be able to soak rice in them.
Palak Paneer dish is fairly simple to make and you can make it as rich or as simple as you want. This dish is tasty and nutritious and it is rich in calcium and iron because spinach being a green leafy vegetable has a high content of iron, magnesium and phosphorous. Paneer is low in calorie and rich in calcium and proteins.
Palak paneer is beneficial for the elderly people as it is easy to chew and easy to digest. Spinach is a natural laxative therefore it is a good remedy for constipation and what better way is there to eat spinach than having it as a delicious Palak Paneer Dish.
Ingredients For Palak Paneer Recipe
Palak (spinach) – 250 grams
Paneer (cottage cheese) – 150 grams
Tomatoes- 2 medium sized
Onion- 2 medium sized
Ginger-1 inch piece
Bay leaves- 1 piece
Big Cardamom- 1 piece
Red Chili powder- ½ tea spoon
Coriander powder- 1 tea spoon
Garam masala- 1 tea spoon
A pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
Fresh Cream (Malai) – 1 table spoon
Ghee or Refined oil- 2 table spoon
Method To Make Palak Paneer
1. Wash and roughly chop the spinach. Put it in a pressure cooker and add a little water. Boil till one whistle. Allow the cooker to cool. When the cooker has cooled, strain the spinach and grind it coarsely.
2. Grind onion and ginger together to make a paste. Chop the tomatoes and blend in a mixer to make puree. Wash and cut the paneer in one inch thick cubes. Keep aside.
3. Heat ghee or oil in a wok. Add the bay leaf and big cardamom. Fry for 1 minute and add a pinch of asafoetida. Add ginger onion paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato puree and again fry for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add fresh cream and fry for 1 minute. Add all the spices except salt and garam masala. Add spinach paste and paneer. Mix well and add salt.
5. Add a little water if you like more gravy. Simmer it for 5 minutes and remove from fire. Sprinkle garam masala on top and transfer in a serving dish.
6. Garnish the dish by spreading beaten fresh cream on top. Serve piping hot with Nan or parantha.
Tip For Palak Paneer Recipe
While boiling spinach add a pinch of cooking soda or salt to it for retaining the fresh green colour. Take care not to overcook spinach as it will lose its colour as well as its nutrients.
You may lightly fry paneer pieces in hot oil to give it a golden brown colour. It will improve the flavour and look of the dish.