There is no better dessert than a slice of fresh apple cake in the season of fall. The wonderful flavor of the cake characterized by the crunchiness of the walnuts, beautiful essence of the vanilla and almond extract and the slight tanginess of the lemon and raisins make it an all time favorite.
In spite of being tremendously tasty, this cake is easy to prepare and looks gorgeous enough to be served at parties. So, get your mixer and other equipment ready to prepare this mouthwatering fresh apple cake.
Servings: 1 large bundt cake
Preparation Time: 25-35 minutes
Baking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes- 1 hour 40 minutes
5 large fresh granny smith apples, diced
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4th cup of milk
1 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
2 cups of white granulated sugar
A pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of powdered sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups of chopped walnuts
5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
2/3rd cup of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
½ cup of powdered sugar
2/3rd cup of raisins
½ teaspoon of almond extract
1. First, rinse the granny smith apples very nicely under running water and then dice them up into medium sized pieces. Once done, dump them into a large bowl and then add the ground cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the apple pieces. Stir to coat the apple pieces nicely with the ground cinnamon and vanilla extract and then set the bowl aside. Now take the flour and add the salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir to mix all the added ingredients.
2. Now set a mixing bowl in the standing electric mixer or you can also use a handheld mixer with a large bowl. Pour the flour mixture into the bowl and then add the sugar to it. Combine the sugar with the rest of the ingredients in low speed, so that the dry mixture doesn’t come out of the bowl and then add the eggs and the melted butter slowly to combine. Once the mixture is moistened, increase the speed of the mixer to medium and gradually add the milk. Beat the mixture until you get a smooth and lump-free batter. Once the desired consistency is achieved, add the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter and then beat the batter for a few more seconds or until the vanilla extract is well combined.
3. Now take a medium sized bowl and throw the chopped walnuts and the raisins into it. Add 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to it. Now take a Bundt cake pan and grease it thoroughly with cooking spray. Once done, take the batter and fold-in the spiced apple cubes into it. Once nicely mixed, pour half of the batter evenly into the bundt cake pan and then spread half of the walnut, raising and cinnamon mixture over the layer of batter.
4. Spread the remaining cake batter over the nut and raising mixture and then top the batter with the rest of the nut and raisin mixture. Once done, pop the pan into a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven and bake the cake for 1 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the deepest part of the cake comes out clean.
5. Once done, place the bundt pan over a wire rack to cool it down for 15-20 minutes and in the meantime, take a bowl and dump the rest of the powdered sugar in it. Add the lemon juice and almond extract to the sugar and then stir the mixture to prepare a smooth glaze. Once ready and the cake cools down, flip the cake pan to take out the cake and then flip the cake again to turn it upwards. Now take the sugar glaze and pour it all over the bundt cake to cover all the sides of the cake with the sugar glaze.