The egg roll is a popular Indian snack that is made by wrapping fried eggs inside crispy parathas. This scrumptious appetizer can be served at various occasions including parties and family get-togethers. It is made tasty with the addition of a vegetable filling comprising of capsicum, carrot and cabbage.
The egg roll is usually savoured with tomato ketchup or any other sweet and sour chutney. Apart from being delicious, this recipe has some great nutritional content. Egg is known to be high in protein, iron, calcium, zinc, phosphorus, Vitamin A, Vitamin D and Vitamin K to name only few. Consuming egg helps in strengthening the immunity system of the body and it also aids in making the bones strong. The vegetables like carrot and cabbage are also rich sources of dietary fiber, thiamine, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium, manganese and folate. Therefore, the egg roll is a wholesome treat for your entire family.
Flour- 250 grams
Shredded Cabbage- 2 tablespoons
Shredded Carrots- 2 tablespoon
Shredded Capsicum- 2 tablespoon
Coriander leaves- 1 teaspoon
Green chillies- ½ teaspoon
Pepper powder- ½ teaspoon
Groundnut oil- For frying
Salt- To taste
Lemon juice- ½ teaspoon
Chilli Sauce- As required
Tomato Sauce- As required
Method of Preparation
1) Sift the flour to remove all impurities. Now add one egg, one teaspoon groundnut oil and a pinch of salt to the flour and mix it very nicely. Add little water and prepare soft dough.
2) Prepare small balls of equal size from the dough. Next spread out the balls on a wooden board with the help of a rolling pin and roll each into a disc of 8 inch diameter giving it the shape of a paratha.
3) Put a frying pan on the flame. Pour very little oil and let it heat for few seconds. Now place the parathas one by one and toast them lightly. Both the sides should get properly toasted.
4) Now add some more oil to the frying pan. Put the parathas one by one and fry them until they turn light brown and crisp.
5) Shred the cabbage, carrots and capsicums into thin strips. Put adequate amount of oil in the pan and fry the vegetables for 5 minutes.
6) Break the eggs into a bowl. Add little salt and pepper powder. Whip the eggs very well.
7) Add little oil in the frying pan. Pour the egg into the pan and immediately place a paratha on top. The egg should get properly coated on one side of the paratha. Let it cook for few minutes. Now flip the paratha gently to fry the other side. Follow the same procedure for all the parathas. Put all the parathas on a big plate.
8 ) Chop the onions into small rings. Chop the green chillies and coriander leaves finely.
9) Put the fried vegetables, onion, chillies and coriander leaves on top of the egg. Pour chilli sauce and tomato sauce as required. Sprinkle some lemon juice on top.
10) Roll the paratha and wrap it with a paper. Serve hot.
Photo Credit: Culinary.net