Chicken tikka masala is renowned throughout the world as the most popular dish of the Indian cuisine. Today, it can be found being served throughout the world in Indian restaurants as one of the most delectable dishes. Such is its popularity in the United Kingdom that these days, it is called Britain’s National Dish.
The dish is prepared by marinating bite-size pieces of chicken in spices and yogurt mixture, and then grilling them over charcoal fire, which gives it a wonderful, unmistakable smokey flavor. The pieces are then served along with a tomato-based gravy.
Given below is a wonderful chicken tikka masala recipe which will help you prepare the dish easily at home. However, keep in mind that the chicken needs to be marinated overnight, so you must plan accordingly.
For the Marinade
Boneless chicken pieces (cut in bite-size pieces): 3 – 4
Natural Yogurt: 250 grams
Fresh ginger (minced): 1 tablespoon
Ground cumin: 2 teaspoons
Ground cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
Chili powder: 2 teaspoons
Fresh cracked pepper: 2 teaspoons
Salt: as per your taste
For the Tomato Gravy
Canned cocktail tomatoes: 250 grams
Heavy cream: 250 grams
Garlic (minced): 2 cloves
Finely chopped red chilies: 2
Ground cumin: 2 teaspoons
Paprika powder: 2 teaspoons
Clarified butter or Ghee: 1 tablespoon
Cilantro / Coriander leaves (chopped): 3 – 4 tablespoons
Salt and Pepper
1. Mix together all the ingredients required for marinating the chicken in a large-sized bowl. Blend all ingredients together well and then add chicken pieces to coat. Mix them together till all the pieces of chicken are nicely coated. Cover the bowl and keep in the refrigerator for 8 hours or preferably overnight.
2. Take out the chicken pieces 30 minutes prior to cooking and set aside. Prepare a charcoal grill or pre-heat the oven at high temperature.
3. Line up the chicken pieces on a skewer and brush all pieces evenly with oil. Grill the pieces of chicken evenly, till they are thoroughly cooked, or till its juices run clear. This should usually take around 5 or 6 minutes.
4. Once all chicken pieces are well cooked, prepare the gravy by heating a large sized skillet on medium heat. Melt clarified butter or ghee in the skilled and sauté chopped chilies and garlic till they leave out a sweet odor. Sprinkle paprika powder, ground cumin, and salt into the clarified butter and sauté for a minutes till it gains a paste-like texture.
5. Add the canned tomatoes and allow it to cook for some time. Scrape the skillet’s bottom to deglaze it and release all pits that might have stuck to the pan’s bottom. Allow the gravy to simmer for a minimum of 10 to 15 minutes on low flame till its starts thickening. After this, add the grilled pieces of chicken along with fresh cream. Allow the gravy to simmer for another 10 minutes or till you get the desired consistency of the gravy.
6. Serve fresh chopped cilantro or coriander on top and serve along with steamed rice or bread.
Photo Credit: Currypages.com