A Chinese rice dish that has enjoyed the privilege of being one of the most preferred varieties of Asian cuisine, the Fried Rice, has etched out a special position in world cuisine. Made with steamed rice and a combination of vegetables, eggs and meat, this is one dish that is tried and tested in almost every household. Accordingly, countless variations of the favourite Fried Rice has become famous in all parts of the world.
Whether it is authentic Asian Chinese food or American Chinese, the Fried Rice has created its own position amongst countless other dishes. In fact, its popularity can be gauged from the fact that it has become a quintessential part of Chinese cuisine, irrespective of where and how it is being cooked.
The Fried Rice is not only available in Chinese restaurants all over the world fast food stands in various parts of the world have also made it a staple dish. In countries like India, the Fried Rice is even dished out at restaurants serving authentic Indian dishes. However, in such cases, significant improvisations can be noticed. The Fried Rice can also be considered to be a healthy food choice. It is a wholesome meal that blends adequate amounts of rice with nutritious vegetables, eggs and meat. Even children would love to have this healthy meal without any hassles. If you too are interested in churning up delectable Fried Rice at home, follow this recipe and earn accolades from friends and relatives.
Steamed rice – 1 cup
Carrots – 1 small
Shredded cabbage – ½ cup
Beans – ½ cup
Capsicum – 1 small
Eggs – 2
Chicken – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Pepper – 1tsp
Oil – 1tbsp
Ajinomoto or Chinese Salt – 1tsp
Soya Sauce – 1tsp
Spring onions – 2
Chopped ginger – ½ tsp
Chopped garlic – ½ tsp
1. If you want to make the perfect Fried Rice, make sure that the rice is cooked to perfection. In order to do this, you need to soak the rice for about half an hour and then drain it. Take about 2 cups of water in a large pan and boil the rice. Make sure that it is not overcooked and it should not be sticky. So, keep a watch when you are preparing the rice. When the rice becomes tender, remove from flame and drain the starch. You can also spread it out on a big plate to prevent the grains from sticking.
2. Finely chop the carrots, cabbage, beans, capsicum and the spring onions.
3. Boil the chicken pieces with a little bit of salt, ginger and garlic paste.
4. Take a large wok and add oil. When the oil heats up add the chopped ginger, garlic and boiled chicken pieces. Toss the chicken for sometime and then add the carrots, cabbage, beans and capsicum. If you wish, you can also add a bit of chopped onion. Add salt and pepper powder.
5. Stir vegetables for sometime and then cover. Let it cook on a slow flame until the vegetables start releasing moisture.
6. Open lid in 5 minutes and stir continuously to prevent burning. Remember, you don’t have to cook the vegetables completely. So, when it is about 60 percent done and is still crunchy, add the boiled rice to it. Sprinkle a little bit of salt and Ajinomoto or Chinese salt. You can also sprinkle a pinch of sugar. This will enhance the flavour. However, if you are not willing to add sugar, happily omit it.
7. Add the Soya sauce and toss the mixture of rice and vegetables very carefully. Make sure that you do not break the rice while tossing. Cook the rice for a few minutes and it will be done.
8. In another pan, heat a little bit of oil and fry the eggs. You need to make some scrambled eggs for the Fried Rice. Spread this over the fried rice before serving and immediately present a hot bowl of Fried Rice. You can also make some Chilli Chicken for accompanying the main course.
Fried Rice variations
If you follow the above recipe, you’ll be able to make some mind-blowing Chicken Fried Rice. But if you wish to add a few variations to this recipe, you can only use vegetables or a combination of eggs and vegetable.
Photo Credit: Gunaash.blogspot.com
A common problem that we face in our homes is that of leftover food, especially after a party. But, now that you are well equipped with the recipe of a basic Fried Rice, you can easily make good use of the leftovers. Therefore, from now on, if you do have some boiled rice, some hams, sausages, vegetable pieces or eggs lying in your fridge, utilize it for making fantastic Fried Rice. Simply mix the available ingredients following the recipe provided and you’ll be able to make an innovative Fried Rice. You can also add leftover pastas, potatoes or meat pieces. Thus, all that leftover from your party can actually churn up a delicious dish like Fried Rice with little effort and that too, in quick time.
Apart from these, you can also try other variations of the fried rice. If you are visiting a Chinese restaurant, a particular kind of Fried Rice that is commonly found in the menu is the Schezwan Fried Rice. And anything that says Schezwan, effectively points towards a spicy concoction. Though, it might sound like an exquisite variety, in reality, it can be easily prepared at home. In order to make this restaurant specialty, you need to buy a bottle of Schezwan sauce which is now readily available in the market. Just add this ingredient to your basic fried rice and taste the difference.
Another mouth-watering version of the fried rice can be made with shrimps or prawns. Instead of chicken pieces, just add in the prawns or shrimps, whichever ingredient you prefer. And those of you, who are on a diet, try to use some brown rice for the recipe.
Therefore, if you are willing to make a sumptuous meal in no time, try the Fried Rice. It will hardly take any time and you’ll be able to make a mouth-watering dish for your family.
Photo Credit: Noshtopia.com