Any sponge cake is delicious and if it is chocolate sponge cake, then it is a thing of absolute pleasure. This heavenly cake can be made especially for those who love the chocolate flavor, as this cake is everything about chocolate.
A not-so-spongy chocolate cake can ruin the fun within seconds, but you will never be disappointed with this cake. So, if you were looking for a recipe to turn your usual chocolate cake into a spongy cake, make sure that you try this recipe.
Preparation Time: 45-55 minutes
Baking Time: 30-35 minutes
3/4th cup of self-rising flour
1/4th cup of cocoa powder
1 cup + 1/4th cup of caster sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 tablespoons of boiling water
½ cup of unsalted butter, softened
1/4th cup of whole milk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of baking powder
For The Chocolate Icing
2/3rd cup of double cream
½ cup + 2 tablespoons of unsweetened chocolate, chopped into small cubes
3 tablespoons of apricot jam
Method Of Preparation
1. Start the preparation by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then take two 8-inches round cake pans and grease both of them with butter. Flour the cake pans nicely with flour and then discard the excess flour from the pans. Once done, take a parchment paper and place one of the pans upside-down over the parchment paper. Mark the circumference of the baking pan with the help of a pen and then cut out the marked area. Cut-out another 8-inch sized round parchment paper for the other pan and then place the two cut-out paper pieces in the baking pans. Once done, set aside the baking pans.
Enticing Checkerboard Cake Recipe
Scrumptious Carrot Cake Recipe
Delectable Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
Amazing Coffee Cake Recipe Delicious Mocha Java Cake Recipe
Awesome Eggless Fruit And Nut Cake Recipe
2. Now take a large mixing bowl and hold a wire sieve over it. Tip the cocoa powder into the sieve to sift it. Once sifted, add the boiling water slowly to the cocoa powder, while stirring the mixture constantly to prevent lump formation. Once done, add the caster sugar and the eggs to the chocolate mixture. Beat the mixture on low speed until the sugar and eggs are completely mixed. Next, take another bowl and sift the flour in that. Add the butter and baking powder to the flour and then whisk lightly to mix.
3. Incorporate 1/3rd part of the flour mixture to the cocoa mixture and beat until well mixed. Incorporate the remaining flour mixture in the same way, until well combined and then add the milk. Beat the batter once again until you get ribbons of batter when pouring it from a height. Once done, divide the cake batter equally between two baking pans and then pop them into the preheated oven. Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes or until they pass the skewer test.
4. While the cakes are baking, take a saucepan and fill it’s 1/4th part with water. Place the saucepan over high heat and wait for it to get heated up. Once the water starts steaming, take a heatproof bowl and pour the cream in it. Heat up the cream and then drop the chocolate cubes one by one while stirring the mixture constantly.
5. Once you get a smooth sauce, set aside the bowl and let it cool down until almost firm. Once you are ready with the cakes, take them out of the oven and then place one of them on a tray. Top the cake with apricot jam and half of the chocolate icing and then place the other cake on top. Finally, spread the remaining icing over and around the cake and then dust with icing sugar on top to decorate.