Chinese cuisine is one of the most sought after cuisine these days. Nearly every place in the world has a China Town. Everyone tries to make Chinese recipes at home once a week and taste something different. Here are two Chinese sauce recipes which will add glamour to your table and taste to your cooking.
The first one is XO Sauce. This Chinese sauce recipe is a spicy seafood sauce and it is usually used in southern Chinese regions. The name Xo comes from the ‘fine Xo’ which means Cognac in Cantonese. Cognac was considered earlier as a chic drink and hence very popular among people. A Xo sauce requires lot of elegant ingredients to make, thus the name.
Yields: 1 cup
Difficulty level: Easy
1 ¼ oz scallops dried
½ oz octopus dried
¼ oz shrimp dried
1/8 oz mackerel dried
5 garlic cloves
1 lemongrass, inner chopped. Lemongrass paste can be used.
3 tbsp cooking wine (Chinese variety preferred)
1 ½ tbsp. palm sugar
1 ½ bean paste (fermented)
1 ½ soy sauce
¼ cup peanut oil and sesame oil
1. In a medium size glass bowl add all the seafood and soak them in warm water. Cover it for 1 hour till they are soft. Drain all the water from the seafood bowl and transfer it to a food processor. Add garlic, lemongrass chopped and shallot. Grind them into a coarse paste.
2. Add wine, bean paste, sugar and soy sauce. Pulse the paste once again to mix. Take a wok, add peanut oil and heat it well. Add the seafood mixture and occasionally stir. Keep stirring till the mix is caramelized.
3. Add in ½ cup of water and stir further. Wait till the water evaporates a little. Now add the sesame oil and stir lightly. Pour the sauce in a glass jar and let it cool till room temperature. Now refrigerate it. This sauce can be preserved and used in for up to one month.
The next Chinese sauce recipe is a garlicky sauce. Garlic is an essential ingredient of Chinese cooking, be it soup, stir-fry or a simple seafood recipe a garlicky sauce adds to the flavor and reduces the pungent odor of seafood and meats.
Yields: Half cup
Difficulty level: Easy
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce and dark soy sauce
2 tsp of dry sherry or rice wine
½ tbsp chili sauce
¼ tbsp. Sesame oil
1 ½ tsp cornstarch
1 tsp water
1 tsp peanut oil
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1. Take a small bowl; add sugar, rice vinegar, rice wine, dark and light soy sauce sesame oil and chili sauce. Stir well with a spoon till they mix. Take another small bowl and dissolve the cornstarch with a little water.
2. In a saucepan heat 1 tbsp peanut oil over medium heat. Add garlic to oil and heat it for a few seconds till the oil is aromatic. Add a little water and stir quickly.
3. Once the sauce seems to be heated properly with little bubbles around, add the cornstarch mix. Stir till you get the desired consistency. Your sauce is ready to be used with any recipe you like, especially stir fries.