Fried rice is a Chinese recipe, which is prepared by frying long grain rice with vegetables, egg, chicken and shrimps. But other than that, fried rice can also be prepared without any of the above mentioned ingredients.
You may prepare vegetarian fried rice without adding the shrimp, egg and chicken or you may also omit either of the three and this is the best thing about fried rice. It tastes awesome but can be maneuvered according to your tastes and likings.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Servings Per Recipe: 9-10
Time Required For Preparation: 1 hour
Time Required For Cooking: 30-40 minutes
1 stirring spoon
1 large pot
2 cups of cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cups of long grain rice
1 cup of shrimp, deveined
2 teaspoons of fish sauce
6 tablespoons of cooking oil
3-4 stalks of spring onion, finely chopped
½ cup of shredded cabbage
2 medium sized carrots, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
A few pinches of monosodium glutamate
1/3rd cup of green peas
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
3 large eggs
Salt, to taste
Method Of Preparation:
1. Rinse the rice thoroughly in water repeating many times to take out all the impurities from it. When the water remains clear even after rinsing the rice in it, you should know that the rice is properly cleaned. Take a large pot and put the long grain rice in it. Fill up the pot with enough water to cover the entire rice. Once done, let the rice soak up the water for 30 minutes. Once the time elapses, drain the water from the pot by transferring the rice to a colander. Next, take the rice and spread it all over paper. This will soak away the excess water and will make the rice less sticky.
2. While the rice is drying, place a wok on the stove and grease it with oil. Turn up the heat to medium high and let the oil heat up. Once the oil heats up, add the shrimp and chicken pieces to it. Sauté the shrimp and chicken pieces until the chicken turns into a golden color and the shrimp turns pink.
3. Once done, spoon out the chicken and shrimp with a slotted spoon and add the chopped up vegetables to the oil, except for the spring onions and the peas. Fry the vegetables until they turn soft and chewy. Then push the vegetables to one side of the wok and add the eggs to the oil. Stir the egg immediately and try to break the lumps of eggs to get smaller pieces.
4. Once done, add the rice to the vegetables and stir fry it on high heat for 5 minutes. Next, add the soy sauce and fish sauce to the rice and stir to combine the sauces very nicely with the rice. Toss the rice while combining the ingredients with it; otherwise, the rice will become soggy and will get mashed if you push it while stirring.
5. Then add the chicken and shrimp to the rice. Follow that by adding the salt, black pepper and monosodium glutamate. Cook the rice on medium heat stirring continuously until the rice grains turn a little chewy. Once done, turn off the heat and add the peas and spring onion to the rice. Toss once more to combine and then serve the rice with your favorite chicken side dish.