Chinese dishes are widely accepted by the foodlovers. They are often a combination of sauces and half cooked veggies, along with meat or seafood. But whenever we think of Chinese cuisine, two mouth watering dishes that come to our mind are Fried rice and chicken chilli. Both are very famous throughout the world and have always been on the menu ever since the Chinese have made it onto the food list.
Chilli Chicken renders a mild taste with all the flavors blending together with the fried chicken pieces and capscicum, making it all the more appealing. This dish have always been a permanent item, if the flavour is chinese. Here let’s see the procedure of cooking easy and tasty Chilli Chicken , the chinese style.
Preparation time required : 40 minutes
cooking time required : 20 minutes
Serves : 5-6 people
Ingredients For Chinese Chilli Chicken
4 chicken breasts or 8 chicken thighs, chopped into one inch bits
5-6 small green chilies, (chopped diagonally )
4 cloves of garlic, (finely chopped )
1 bell pepper or green capscicum, deseeded and roughly chopped into one inch pieces
1 shallot or 2 medium green onions, (sliced into one inch pieces)
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon of soya sauce
1 teaspoon of vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
oil, (for deep frying)
a fistfull of chopped spring onion
Ingredients Required For Marination
1- 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 whole egg
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 teaspoon of soya sauce
1/2 teaspoon of table salt
1 wok or frypan
1 small bowl
1 large plate
Method of Preparation
1. Firstly marinate the chicken pieces with a batter made from the ingredients required for marination.Coat the chicken pieces with enough batter and Set aside for atleast 1/2 and hour. Chicken pieces can also be marinated a day ahead (sealed and freezed) in the refrigerator. Heat oil in a wok or a frypan.
2. Fry the marinated chicken pieces, in batches of 6-8 pieces, till cooked. Drain the excess oil from the fried chicken pieces with the help of a paper towel or tissue paper. In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and warm water, stir well enough to dissolve them completely without leaving any undissolved lumps behind.
3. Put back the wok or the frypan onto the fire and heat 2 tablespoon of oil . Add in the chopped green chillies, garlic, bell pepper (capscicum) and shallot ( green onion) and stir fry for about 30 secsonds on a medium flame. Just to get rid of the raw smell and taste. Pour in the soya sauce and vinegar to this and give it two three quick whisks in order to combine the spices. Now immediately add the diluted cornstarch.
4. The sauce will slowly start to thicken. At this time, adjust the consistency by adding some more water if required. Thickness of the gravy depends on personal preference. While stirring them consistently, add the fried chicken pieces and mix. Adjust the salt according to taste. Stir fry chicken for 2 more minutes and then remove from fire.
5. Spread onto the serving plate and garnish it with some freshly chopped spring onions. Serve hot with some chinese fried rice or even plain rice. It also works well with hot parathas, noodles or spaghetti.