Chinese chicken salad is a very delicious and healthy salad. It is prepared by grilling the chicken which is marinated in a teriyaki marinade. Finally, the salad is served with crispy fried wanton wrappers or crispy chow mein, an Asian style salad dressing and the juicy grilled chicken. So, if you are looking out for something delicious and healthy to include in your diet, then you can definitely go for this wonderful recipe.
Difficulty level: Easy
Servings per recipe: 4
Time required for preparation: 1-24 hours
Time required for cooking: 15-20 minutes
1 sauté pan
1 stirring spoon
1 charcoal grill or grill pan
1 large tong
1 sharp knife
1 pastry brush
1 slotted spoon
1 wire whisk
2 salad tossing spoons
1 large mixing bowl
Plastic cling film
1 medium sized bowl
1 air-tight container
4 large chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
2 cups of thinly sliced romaine lettuce
2-3 green onion stalks, sliced
2 large carrots, julienned
10-12 wanton wrappers, sliced
2 cups of thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
4 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
1 cup of cabbage, thinly sliced
For the Marinade
1 cup of teriyaki sauce
½ teaspoon of Chinese five spice powder
6 green onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of minced ginger
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1 cup of rice wine vinegar
6 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons of pure honey
For the Dressing
½ teaspoon of light soy sauce
1/4th teaspoon of garlic powder
2 cups of water, at room temperature
3 tablespoons of dry pectin
A pinch of paprika
1 teaspoon of salt
6 tablespoons of white granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of white vinegar
A pinch of freshly ground black pepperz
Method of Preparation
1. Remove the chicken breasts from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before you cook them. Once the chicken breasts are thawed, trim off any excess fat and skin from them and then scour them halfway deep with a knife.
Once done, set them aside in a large bowl. Now take a bowl and pour the teriyaki sauce in it. Add the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey, minced ginger, minced garlic, five spice powder and the sliced green onions to the teriyaki sauce.
2. Whisk the mixture with a wire whisk and then pour it over the chicken breasts. Make sure that all the chicken breasts are covered with the marinade and then cover the top of the bowl with plastic cling film.
After that, pop the bowl into the refrigerator and marinate the chicken breasts for 1-4 hours or overnight. Take out the chicken breasts from the refrigerator after the marinating time elapses and then let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. While the chicken is sitting at room temperature, prepare an outdoor grill by setting it on high. You can also use an indoor grill pan for grilling the chicken breasts. Once the grill becomes piping hot, place the marinated chicken breasts on it and grill them for 2-3 minutes.
Brush a little bit of the teriyaki marinade over the chicken breasts to keep them moist. Grill the chicken breasts for 8-10 minutes by flipping them after every 2-3 minutes. Continue brushing the chicken breasts with the teriyaki marinade while grilling them.
4. Once the chicken breasts are grilled, take them off the grill and then let them sit for a few minutes. This will allow the chicken breasts to cool down and they will also be able to soak-in the marinade and become juicier.While the grilled chicken breasts are sitting at room temperature, take a sauce pan and place it on the stove.
Light up the flame and set it on medium. Then pour 2 cups of water in it. Add the soy sauce, white vinegar, dry pectin, granulated sugar, paprika, salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder to the water.
5. Stir the mixture to dissolve everything and then let the mixture cook on medium heat until all of the sugar and the pectin dissolves in it. Once done, turn off the flame and set aside the saucepan to cool down the dressing. Once the dressing cools down completely, pour it into an air-tight container and then pop it into the refrigerator to refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
6. In the meantime, take a sauté pan and place it over the adjacent hob. Light up the flame and maintain it on low. Once the sauté pan heats up, put the sesame seeds in it and toast them for about 3-4 minutes or until they turn fragrant and slightly brownish in color.
Make sure that you shake the sauté pan often while toasting the sesame seeds because that prevents them from burning. Once done, turn off the flame and set aside the toasted sesame seeds. While the dressing is sitting in the refrigerator, take a large bowl and place it beside your chopping board.
7. Now take the iceberg lettuce leaves and roll them up all together like a cigar. Then slice the lettuce leaves into medium thin slices. Slice up the romaine lettuce in the same way and then take the cabbage. Peel off the outer leaves of the cabbage head and then cut it in half.
Once done, slice the halved cabbage head thinly like the lettuce leaves. The cabbage and the lettuce slices should be equal in size. Once done, put the cabbage, romaine and iceberg lettuce slices into the large mixing bowl and then combine the julienned carrot, sliced green onion and the toasted sesame seeds with them.
8. Toss the salad with salad tossing spoons and then set it aside. Next, take the grilled chicken breasts and cut them along the scours that you made before grilling them. Now take a skillet or saucepan and fill it with 2 cups of peanut or vegetable oil. Place the saucepan on the stove and light up the flame.
Set the flame on medium high and wait for the oil to heat up. While the oil is heating up, take the wanton wrappers and stack them one above the other. Then cut them into thin strips using a sharp knife. Once done, throw the wanton wrapper slices into the hot oil and fry them for 2-3 minutes or until they turn crispy.
9. Once the wanton wrappers turn slightly brown and crispy, spoon them out with a slotted spoon and set them aside. Then pour some of the salad dressing over the salad and toss to combine it with the salad. Finally, add the crispy deep fried wanton wrapper slices and the sliced up chicken breasts to the salad. Toss the salad once again with all the added ingredients and then serve it.