Have you ever tried Chinese cabbage or Napa cabbage instead of the regular green cabbage? So, why not try cooking Chinese cabbage in your home kitchen. I am here to share with you one of the most appetizing recipe of Chinese cabbage. Chinese cabbage or Napa cabbage is an Asian vegetable that resembles regular cabbage.
This great crunchy vegetable is slightly longer and oval shaped. It tastes yummy when cooked and can also be eaten raw in salads. This versatile veggie has got a very unique taste and gives a crisper texture to your dish. There are lot many recipes that are prepared in different ways around the world from Chinese cabbage.
Here are few of the popular ways of preparing this healthy veggie- Napa cabbage slaw, Napa cabbage kimchi, stir-fry, Napa cabbage spring rolls, Napa cabbage soup, Napa cabbage rolls, braised Napa cabbage and it is also excellent for taco toppings.
Why Chinese cabbage (Napa Cabbage)?
Chinese cabbage has more nutritional values as compared to the regular green cabbage. It is full of Vitamin A, C and K. Chinese cabbage is rich in anti-oxidants hence provides a great resistance against infections. It is also an excellent source of vitamins like pyridoxine, riboflavin, thiamin and pantothenic acid. Being very low in calories, it is highly popular among health conscious people.
This Fiber rich vegetable helps in lowering the blood pressure, gallstones, stroke and also protects against heart diseases and the risk of cancer to certain extent. So friends, let us quickly note down the procedure and ingredients required to make the world’s best Chinese or Napa cabbage stir-fry recipe!
Chinese cabbage recipe (Stir-fry)
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
5 cups Chinese cabbage (also called Napa Cabbage or Sui Choy)
3-4 large garlic clove, minced
1 inch long fresh ginger, minced
2 green onions, white part
3 tablespoons peanut oil
2 – 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
Salt to taste
1/2 cup water
3 teaspoons low sodium-soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed in 4 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons of sesame oil
2 spring onions, green part, if desired
1. Take the cabbage in a colander and rinse thoroughly under the running tap. Using a kitchen towel, pat dry the vegetable and cut thin slices diagonally into 1-inch pieces and keep aside. In the same way, rinse green onions nicely under the tap. Chop them using a knife and keep the white and the green parts separately in a plate and keep aside.
2. Now remove the peel of garlic and crush them with the help of the knife. Also remove the skin of the ginger and grate them. Take a mixing bowl and mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 4 teaspoons of water. Keep this mixture aside. Now that we are ready with all the ingredients, heat peanut oil in a wok or a non-stick pan.
3. Once the oil is hot enough, add the crushed garlic, ginger and sauté for about half a minute or until they are aromatic and their fragrance spreads throughout your kitchen. Now add sliced cabbage and stir-fry on high flame for about a minute. Stir in chinese rice wine, salt, water and mix well.
4. Stir- fry again for about 1-2 minutes and then cover it with a lid. Reduce the flame and let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Now remove the lid and add red pepper flakes, white part of green onions, low sodium- soy sauce and stir on a high medium heat. Now re-stir the prepared cornstarch mixture once and pour it to the pan quickly.
5. Mix well so that everything gets combined nicely and the vegetable is very well coated with the sauce. Cook until it thickens and then remove from the fire. Your lip smacking Chinese cabbage stir-fry is ready to relish. Transfer it into a serving bowl and drizzle some sesame oil, also garnish with greens of spring onions, if desired. Serve hot along with rice, noodles, chicken or anything of your choice!
1. You can use vegetable or chicken broth to your dish for a better flavor.
2. You can also use different spices and adjust their amount accordingly as per your choice and taste.
3. Adjust the amount of salt carefully as you are adding soy sauce and make sure you taste your dish before serving.
4. You can also add different veggies like red onions, red or yellow bell pepper, green or red cabbage, shredded carrots etc for variation as per your likes.
5. Also you can use Chinese or balsamic vinegar for that extra zing of flavor.