Chicken burrito is a traditional Mexican dish, which is prepared by folding a corn tortilla over a filling of vegetables and meat. This easy to make and super delicious food is available in all Mexican restaurants and fast food joints. Chicken burrito is originally filled with only meat and vegetables but sometimes salsa, sour cream and guacamole can also be added to the filling to make it tastier.
Difficulty level: Easy
Yields per recipe: 6
Preparation time required: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time required: 50-55 minutes
600 grams of chicken, boneless and skinless
6 large flour tortillas
1 cup of chopped onions
1 large garlic, chopped
½ cup of chopped tomatoes
1 cup of refried beans
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup of chopped red bell peppers
½ cup of water
½ cup of chopped yellow bell peppers
Pico de Gallo
1 large pot
1 stirring spoon
1 frying pan or griddle
1 sharp knife
Method of Preparation
1. Take the chicken and cut it into small bite sized pieces. Then transfer the chicken pieces to a colander and rinse them under running water to remove all the impurities. Once done, shake the colander to discard the excess water and then set aside the chicken. Next, chop the vegetables as stated above.
2. After that, take a pot and put some oil in it. Place the pot on medium heat and let the oil heat up. Once the oil heats up, add the chicken pieces to it and fry them for 4-5 minutes or until they turn a little golden brownish in color. Once that happens, add the water to the pot and stir the chicken pieces to moisten them.
Next, add-in the chopped vegetables. Then add a pinch of salt and black pepper to the mixture and braise the chicken on medium heat by covering up the pot with a lid. The chicken will take about 40-45 minutes to become fork-tender.
3. Once the chicken pieces turn soft, spoon them out of the pot and transfer them to a plate. Let the chicken cool down for a few minutes. Once the chicken cools down, start shredding it finely with two forks or with your fingers, whichever is convenient for you.
Once the chicken is shredded, fish out the vegetables from the pot and discard the cooking liquid or store it for later use. Next, set a saucepan on the stove and light up the flame. Set the flame on medium high and add some oil to it.
4. Next, add the refried beans to the saucepan and heat them for 5-6 minutes. In the meantime, set a griddle or frying pan on a separate hob and heat it up on high heat. Once the griddle starts smoking, put the tortillas on that and warm them up one by one.
5. Once done, take one warm tortilla and put 1-2 tablespoons of the refried bean mixture at the center of the tortilla. Top that with the shredded chicken, vegetables, 1 tablespoon of guacamole and 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Now to fold the tortilla, pull up the two sides of it and place them over the filling.
Then pull up the other two flaps from the bottom and top and fold those over to enclose the filling inside. Prepare the rest of the burritos in the same way and then serve them with the Pico de Gallo, sour cream and guacamole.